Hello

Introduce yourself to the RAF Air UK members
Malc

Hello

Post by Malc »

Hi everyone,

My name is Malc - Malcolm - and am a Scot based in West Sussex. I have only dabbled with DCS to date (I have the Hornet and Combined Arms). I've been flying sims since Falcon on the Atari ST, and mostly followed the Falcon route since through AT, F3, and F4. I am a Dev with Benchmark Sims, responsible for a great many of the airports in KTO among other things.

Aside from Falcon, I always loved the Apache and Janes Longbow/Longbow 2 and indeed still flew it with Windows 7 until one of the later updates killed it completely, never able to get it to work on later Win7 or Win10. Needless to say when I heard the Apache might be coming to DCS I was just a wee bit excited (that's a gross understatement, by the way... :) )

As it stands currently, I can just about take-off. hold a steady(ish) hover, and fly around quite convincingly. Landings are still a challenge, but hopefully as the product matures and I get more practice this will become second nature. Learning systems as I go - lots of RTFMing still to do ;)

I take my flight-simming very seriously (spare time is precious and needs to be used effectively), and probably because of this I've never been one for buying every module going in DCS - I think to become extremely proficient I need to focus on one airframe at a a time, and as a result tend not to change my current seat. I'm looking to hopefully find some like-minded Apache pilots and even better find some who are willing to "crew up" and we can really appreciate the Apache as it should be flown, because it is quite obvious single player even with George just isn't going to do it justice - this is no Janes Longbow2, that's for sure!

I guess first off I should aim to join the No.1 Flying Training School (Rotary Wing)? I'm never going to be the best Apache Pilot/CPG, but will commit to giving it my best shot.

Hope to see you on the ramps soon!

0415 Falcon

Re: Hello

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Hi Malc,
welcome aboard.
You will have the chance to meet and fly with excellent pilots here and for sure you will have amazing time participating in missions etc.
Congrats on your choice for the Apache, it is a great module!
For the rotary training Wee Neal will get back to you soon.
Take care.

Br,
Filip
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Hi Malc,

Welcome to RAF Air.
Contact Wee Neal @ 60 Squadron. 1FTS is currently not operating. Apache conversion is being handled by them. 60 Squadron are a great group and will sort you out.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

welcome, good choice on the apache, that thing looks like its gonna be a beast
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi Malc

welcome. your timing is impeccable as we commenced traing on the Apache last night and I am just preparing a draft training programme. I will post this shortly on the Forums. 60 Sqn fly on a Monday evening starting at 1930hrs and often you can find some of us on at the weekends. We have a discord channel as well which is used alot for timely comms. Link https://discord.gg/smFXmtEq

You will also need to download all of the standard Mods from here: viewtopic.php?uid=1626&f=359&t=4993&start=0

You will need to setup on Teamspeak and SRS. Let me know if you need a hand for this?

If you drop a message on Discord 60 Sqn General chat one of the chaps I am sure would be available to say hi and help out.

I am intending to be on later tonight just for a mooch around at about 2030hrs.

Catch you soon

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Return to “Introduce Yourself”