Hello!

Introduce yourself to the RAF Air UK members
kobijo128

Hello!

Post by kobijo128 »

Hi everyone,

My name is Kobi, 21 years old from Jersey in the Channel Islands. Massive aviation geek, been flying IRL since I was 14, spent 6 years in the Air Cadets, currently coming towards the end of my commercial flight training based in Gloucester UK. Always had a passion flying, dipped into the RAF when I was 19 but decided it wasn't for me very early on and persued my original plan of commercial flying. On the side of the commercial training I'm also big on aerobtaic and old school tailwheel aircraft.

On the virtual side, been flight simming since age 12 I would guess, massive on commercial simming but also been flying DCS for about 3 years. During Covid I was part of the Wildcats VFA-27 flying the Hornet where I picked up the callsign 'Mammal' following a hilarious first carrier training trip! Was fortunate enough to take part in the AMVI Joint Thunder multi-national campaign in the largest online air campaign in DCS history. Sadly though I had to leave to focus on my ATPLs. I haven't flown any combat missions for about 6 months so fairly rusty!

I would appreciate some direction from the leadership as to where you think I would be best suited to start, I don't have a lot of time at the moment, maybe 1 night a week to give and I understand that isn't usually enough for an operational squardon. I'd be really interested in teaching elementry flying training, I hope to be undertaking my Instructors qualification in the real world in the coming months and I think teaching in the sim would be extremely useful if you so desire someone in that role. Once I have a bit more time in a couple months I will be able to dedicate more time and would be interested in a Hornet based squadron, likely the 892 as I love carrier ops.

Looking forward to getting to know as many people as I can and appreciate any advice you can offer for my current situation!

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Post by Matt »

Hi Kobi,

Firstly welcome to RAF Air UK, I see yourself having two options for the Hornet, being 892 Naval Air Squadron or the F/A-18C OCU (both conduct carrier operations) however if you are a flying by numbers kind of guy as I'd imagine you are conducting your commercial licence you may want to have a think about the OCU as they utilise real world tactics as directed by one of their squadron members who was a real life Jaguar squadron commander in the RAF.

but both are great squadrons what ever you decide to pick!

get in contact with Neil Willis for 892 NAS or Ade (Roon) for the OCU!

I look forward to flying with you buddy, and questions or issues please ping me a message!

Matt
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

kobijo128

Post by kobijo128 »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply! Who can turn down getting instruction from someone so experienced! I'll be sure to get in touch with Roon for the OCU.

Thanks a lot!

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

Welcome Kobi, I've replied to your message. Look forward to meeting you on teamspeak this evening if you have time.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Return to “Introduce Yourself”