Hello Everyone!

Introduce yourself to the RAF Air UK members
Excrucinator

Hello Everyone!

Post by Excrucinator »

Hello!

My name is Brian and I've been playing flight simulators on and off for about 8 years now (Microsoft Flight Sim X, Take On Helicopters, X-Plane 10, and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020). In the last couple of months I've been playing a bit more Digital Combat Simulator, especially since I've been getting some training from Jester. I've got a few modules now (thanks sales!), and have started learning the UH-H1 as well as the FA-18C.

For those who are interested: I use a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro Pedals, and TrackIR to fly, (no VR yet!). And if anyone else reading this has the Thrustmaster HOTAS; have you dealt with the 'sticktion' issue? Have you sanded and re-greased your joystick? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience doing that and any suggestions you might have.

Looking forward to flying with you all!

Brian (Excrucinator)

p.s. Yes I did choose my online handle when I was literally 14, and yes it is a portmanteau of "excruciating" and "terminator"

Chris

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Chris »

Hi Brian, Welcome...

RAFAIR has a number of squadrons each flying a primary different airframe. Squadrons that fly the A10C and F14B are pretty low in numbers & activity currently, then there are 2 SQNs flying the F18 albeit with different styles, an Apache SQN, and a Harrier SQN and a F16 SQN. So in essence you need to give some thought to the airframe you wish to advance with most then give them a shout to get embedded.... Overviews can be found here http://www.rafairuk-dcs.co.uk/

With regard to the warthog stick stiction, cleaning and re-greasing can help sure but I always found the main issue is the strong centering spring. I used one for years before moving on and then I cut the main spring using just a third for helo ops and jets the normal spring with 25mm * 72mm + 120mm (=20cm) extension worked well.... some even used 30cm extensions. If desktop mounted those options are not available to you but a regrease and small extension maybe.... you can also MOD by removing the large spring and reversing the small ones (https://youtu.be/aBMBR8M0z2E) - that works well on a desk... or you can buy weaker replacement springs... https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com ... n-springs/ - Kit! It is one big rabbit holes and everyone has an opinion ha ha....
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Excrucinator

Post by Excrucinator »

Hi Chris

Thanks very much for the information about HOTAS mods, I'll take a look at those soon.

I'd like to join the 41st Sqn/OCU if possible as I've been flying with Jester and he was the one to encourage me to sign up to RAF Air.

Brian

Chris

Post by Chris »

Good stuff! Send a PM to ROON if he doesn't make contact direct :)
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Welcome mate,

I have let the OCU lads know you are looking for them, no doubt they will be along shortly!

Matt.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Excrucinator

Post by Excrucinator »

Smashing, thanks!

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

Hi Brian, no problem joining, Jester has already forewarned me!!

If you can get onto the RAFAIR Discord later this evening I'll assign you to the OCU/41Sqn. Welcome aboard.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Return to “Introduce Yourself”