Hello Everyone (New Intro)

Introduce yourself to the RAF Air UK members
warthogwannabe

Hello Everyone (New Intro)

Post by warthogwannabe »

Hi All,

I'm Phil [ warthogwannabe ] , I am fairly new to DCS (4 months) and currently learning the A10C II.

My background: Currently serving RAF Warrant Officer (Eng Tech W). Throughout my career I've been lucky enough to work on Tornado F3/GR1/GR4, Harrier (GR7/GR9/T10/T12), Hawk, C130J. Really, REALLY lucky to have had the opportunities to fly in a Harrier T12 and with the Red Arrows (Hawk T1).

After just over 23 years of RAF Service, I am shortly due to leave the RAF - and I have chosen DCS as my new hobby!

Currently for DCS i have the A10C II, Harrier (AV8B), F18, Black Shark 3 (Ka-50) and the Anubis Hercules Mod - along with Super Carrier and the Nevada/Syria/Persian Gulf Maps.

I have only really spent any time on the A10CII, and can survive flights/landings and operate the Mav and APKWS Hydra (still terrible at bombing - will need help here!).
My theory here, was that the A10CII seems rather complex, so to gain some experience here 'might' make other platforms less challenging... Although I'm happy to take any advice.

I'm VERY new to PC 'gaming' and flight simming - but I'm keen to learn. My first gaming rig was only purchased in Dec 2022, and I purchased what I believed to be the best 'bang for buck' hardware that was 'in stock' at the time.

I have had some training from some incredibly kind (and patient!!) folks on the Wolf Pack servers, but the time differences can make flying together a challenge.

Equipment specs:

Intel i9 11900KF
32Gb Ram
RTX 3090ti

TM HOTAS Warthog
HP Reverb G2 VR

I very much look forward to meeting you all and enhancing my DCS Flying skills.

Chris

Re: Hello Everyone (New Intro)

Post by Chris »

Hello wannabe, welcome.....

So sorry there has been a delay in coming back to you, most activity is in discord these days, anyway we will soon get you sorted.

RAFAir consists of several squadrons covering various airframes. Some are busy and large, some small and some AWOL, at least on this forum and discord.

There is 97SQN, a small group of enthusiastic A10II drivers, 664SQN AAC who fly the apache but seemed to have moved to another group so not about much, 3FSQN, F16 jockeys of distinction, 41SQN/OCU a large active group of F18 pilots who fly formerly in the RAF style with same procedures as possible and mentored by a ex RAF fighter pilot, and 1FSQN an enthusiastic group oh Harrier pilots. Lastly Carrier Air Wing (CAW) with 892NAS flying F18s as per NATOPS, 809NAS a smaller group flying F14's and 800NAS a small group who fly the HARRIER seriously as a secondary airframe. F18, F14 and AV8 are all marine based for the most part. Plenty of guys fly KA50, MI8 and UH!H and WW2 crates as tertiary role too.

Further details can be found here....[surl]http://www.rafairuk-dcs.co.uk/[/surl] under 'our squadrons'

Once you have an ideal where your journey begins you can if you wish post here or PM me and I'll put you in contact with the relevant person - For anything CAW thats me incidentally.
Kind Regards
Chris :)

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Hi Phil,

Welcome to RAF Air, like Chris says, we run mostly on Discord and I pop in every now and again.

We'll see you on there.

Cheers
Andrew
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Welcome Phil!

I look forward to flying with you in whatever aircraft you decide to fly within RAF Air UK!

If you need any help please do not hesitate to get in touch!

Matt
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Introduce Yourself”