Tuesday 07 January 2020

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 07 January 2020

Post by Flyco »

I am sorry that you feel I am being unfair. The last time we flew this about 3-4 weeks ago, we were short of F-14 pilots, A-10 pilots, and F-18 pilots. I asked then for any suggestions to improve it but received nothing useful.

Since then I have amended it to cater for the unforeseen in so far as I can. Thanks for your support Matt - In recognition I will replace the F-14s with Harriers for the next issue!

Let me offer, the Mission, in its current form to anyone, who wishes to change it - and can do so in time for tomorrow, including briefings etc. But I am afraid I will not be adding any more F-14s - it will not work in the scenario as it is presently written.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Fine i wont be flying then its that simple , why am i bothering to Train piliots if they can t fly .

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Flyco wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 18:45 I am sorry that you feel I am being unfair. The last time we flew this about 3-4 weeks ago, we were short of F-14 pilots, A-10 pilots, and F-18 pilots. I asked then for any suggestions to improve it but received nothing useful.

Since then I have amended it to cater for the unforeseen in so far as I can. Thanks for your support Matt - In recognition I will replace the F-14s with Harriers for the next issue!

Let me offer, the Mission, in its current form to anyone, who wishes to change it - and can do so in time for tomorrow, including briefings etc. But I am afraid I will not be adding any more F-14s - it will not work in the scenario as it is presently written.
Were not moaning at you Alan or matt. We do appreciate the efforts that you guys put in when it comes to mission writing and that includes the random turnouts. From uzis perspective we do genuinely try to cope with the extra read air when we're shorthanded.
Tbh were just excited about the extra guys joining up
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The next page of the brief (the Frequency plan) is attached. Just 2 more to come.
Attachments
OP DEEP VALLEY Coms & Supprt Units.pdf
(793.63 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Attached are briefs for Colt and Uzi, together with a summary of significant timings during the mission.

The brief for the A-10s will be available tomorrow, but will be is largely unchanged from the last iteration. (A-10 drivers are amiable, easy to please, good-looking, and uncomplaining)
Attachments
OP DEEP VALLEY Uzi.pdf
(740.21 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
OP DEEP VALLEY Colt.pdf
(755.18 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
OP DEEP VALLEY Timings.pdf
(577.61 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Flyco wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 18:45 I am sorry that you feel I am being unfair. The last time we flew this about 3-4 weeks ago, we were short of F-14 pilots, A-10 pilots, and F-18 pilots. I asked then for any suggestions to improve it but received nothing useful.

I'm sure no one is pointing any fingers at anyone but all was dandy when we only had 3 or 4 Uzi pilots. We have now had an influx of guys who would like to fly too bolstering the squadron. Not really sure what the solution is if the missions can't sustain say 6x F14's and I am no mission builder so can't really comment either way, however if the current missions can't support the F14 realistically then maybe it's time that a new mission is generated, not a two minute job I know and a lot of work required to make it work.

Can some extra scenarios be added into the current ones to keep more ac busy, the F14 is multi role as well don't forget so there are possibilities there I should imagine. We are not only CAP ac we can do air to ground runs as much as the next man! If there is enough for 10xF18's to do then surely there can be enough for 6xF14's?

I have also suggested that all F14 pilot also learn the RIO station to allow doubling up on busy nights.

Just my thoughts really as currently we have our squadron commanding officer dropping out so people can fly! That can't be right.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

The first aim of all missions should always be to support ALL our pilots. We cannot ever be in a situation where we turn away people for the lack of suitable and supported airframes.

This I feel should always remain a priority, and if it means some last-minute tweaking of missions, even at the expense of balance and sufficient objectives then so be it. One of those turned away could have been the person with the knowledge and ability to carry the organization forward, so we will always try to assist where we can.

Please be aware however that the mission planners have spent a great deal of time and effort making the missions the best they can be, so do try to understand that any last-minute changes can disrupt some very careful in-depth planning and development, and that will naturally ruffle feathers.

Please try to be a little more diplomatic with one another under these circumstances, we will always try to arrive at a suitable compromise.

I think someone may owe Alan an apology for the manner in which he was treated. There are was of asking for changes that don't involve dummies and prams, and a little more consideration to both sides of the argument are needed. It reflects badly on us all when we fall out.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

i asked days in advance to increase the UZI flight as i knew we would be having more pilots. ADDing 2 more F14s dose not interfer with anything and does not cahnge the mission at all.

I will be jumping on line tonight but i will not fly Untill all my pilots have a aircraft to fly. If it means that i dont fly cause no aircraft then that is ok.

My men come first especally the new Pilots the ones ive personally taught and taken on check rides.

The ball is in your court Gents.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Do not say anything more until we have talked tonight Mutley. If you have issues with mission planners, the first thing you need to do is talk to someone before getting angry and saying something embarassing.

We will do our best to resolve all issues as we always have.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Mutley, to be exact you asked 2 days ago. That mission has taken 3 weeks to sort out. I spent most of the weekend flying tweaking, and re-flying all the different routes for which I have the aircraft - mainly the three F-18 routes. I then had to wait for the OCU agreement to my proposals, then finalize the mission, then write and publish all the briefs. I finished late last night. No! Don't thank me - I enjoy it.

I don't have the F-14, and so I have largely stuck to the same format for that ac. I will repeat my already oft-repeated plea for anyone who has any comments or suggestions about my missions to let me have them - preferably more than 2 or 3 hours before the next time the mission is scheduled.

I confess to being a 'details' man and am an inveterate tweaker of details. I won't go so far as to say that I am a perfectionist (although, of course, others may if they wish?!), but I do like to get things sorted out properly. I am embarrassed when my missions go wrong. Hence, I am reluctant to make ill-thought-out changes at the last moment.

Nevertheless, I have added 2 extra F-14s. I do not think this will impact too much on the rest of the sortie. However, this gives a total of up to 24 ac. I do not know how the Server will react to this number, nor do I know whether it will hiccup at the maximum number or the actual numbers of aircraft participating. We will find out tonight - as (I suspect) we did last week at Armageddon.

Now, since this topic has turned into a 'bitching' session, I will add my view - unpalatable though it may be to some. I believe that there is a growing level of ill-discipline within this group. I am not talking about disobedience of rules, but rather an indifference to them, or to the views of others. It has become greatly magnified by the conversion of the forum into a form of 'Social Media', with great strings of puerile, pointless comment - including that much-loved word of the illiterate "awesome". It has reached the stage that, where I once used to read every post, I now ignore most of them. There, now I have joined those who misuse this Forum for personal comment.

Well, having got all that off my chest, I will close by saying that I am not annoyed, more disappointed. Being now well into the fourth quarter of my century, I tend to ignore criticism - it is clear that those who don't agree with me are barely worth arguing with. After all, it is not their fault that they lack the clarity of thought and foresight that I enjoy.

I look forward to flying with all of you this evening.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”