Mission Night 14 Apr 2020

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Father Cool

Re: Mission Night 14 Apr 2020

Post by Father Cool »

It makes sense but is it removing from the realism somewhat?

I would argue that TS should be there as an emergency backup when there are comms issues etc. All other comms ought to be what we have available in pit don't you think? I don't know.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Father Cool wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 07:09 It makes sense but is it removing from the realism somewhat?

I would argue that TS should be there as an emergency backup when there are comms issues etc. All other comms ought to be what we have available in pit don't you think? I don't know.
i agree however dcs etc is notoriously fickle, how many nights have we had where NOBODY has a comm issue?
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

oz555 wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 06:52
Father Cool wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 12:11 Is that not what we use 251.0 for though?
I agree, but with an ever increasing player count comms are becoming more busy and complicated. I was thinking it might be a good idea to have an always on, uninterrupted non brevity TS comms channel for leads only, to be used to keep the mission on track.
i think this is where training comes in, somebody like alen will know this far better than me but 251 seemed pretty quite this time, perhaps too quite given the accidentally crowded airspace sometimes? on a personal level i know my comms arnt great so i consciously try to stay quiet on 251 especially
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Comms is always difficult. Just think yourself lucky you are not in the middle of the Indian Ocean, trying to talk to Djakarta Radio on one HF box and Bombay Radio on the second, and while you're trying to tell the 'Loadie' that you don't take sugar in your coffee, and "No, Nav, I do not want to see your 'Howgozit' chart just at the moment". Ah! happy days!

However, I cannot see it being possible to fly full missions on TeamSpeak only. Just think of up to 20 ac all tying to pass targeting data at the same time. It just needs discipline, and an acceptance that most people, especially me, or when they are busy, do not want to have chit-chat (not even Polish chit chat) passing rom one ear to the other interrupting what limited brain function I have left.

In A-A combat, or as a flight trying to sort out and allocate a lot of ground targets, you want good, relevant, rubbish-free, contact. Yes SRS can be bit iffy at times, but I suspect it is mainly due to individuals - in my case, usually pressing the wrong Tx tit.

Also don't forget that you can always turn the less critical radios down in volume - I always listen out on 251.0 (or whatever is the common), but turn it right down so that I can hear it (just), but it does not interfere with other reception.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

and around it goes again again

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Flyco wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 08:00 Comms is always difficult. Just think yourself lucky you are not in the middle of the Indian Ocean, trying to talk to Djakarta Radio on one HF box and Bombay Radio on the second, and while you're trying to tell the 'Loadie' that you don't take sugar in your coffee, and "No, Nav, I do not want to see your 'Howgozit' chart just at the moment". Ah! happy days!

However, I cannot see it being possible to fly full missions on TeamSpeak only. Just think of up to 20 ac all tying to pass targeting data at the same time. It just needs discipline, and an acceptance that most people, especially me, or when they are busy, do not want to have chit-chat (not even Polish chit chat) passing rom one ear to the other interrupting what limited brain function I have left.

In A-A combat, or as a flight trying to sort out and allocate a lot of ground targets, you want good, relevant, rubbish-free, contact. Yes SRS can be bit iffy at times, but I suspect it is mainly due to individuals - in my case, usually pressing the wrong Tx tit.

Also don't forget that you can always turn the less critical radios down in volume - I always listen out on 251.0 (or whatever is the common), but turn it right down so that I can hear it (just), but it does not interfere with other reception.
I totally agree with this Alan, I don't think anyone was trying to resort to just using TS. It was a suggestion to use that as an overall battle picture channel, however I would argue that that's what 251 is for. Intra flight comms. Whether its radio nerves or tunnel vision on the task at hand during the mission I don't know but it would be better I think if there were more clear concise comms on that channel to help co-ordinate bewteen different flight groups. The squadron specific flight comms on your specific frequency can be as 'by the book' as the flight lead permits as long as it gets the job done. TS I think needs to be on but kept quiet unless its a comms emergency where SRS is having issues.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

For comms and decluttering all the flights we could implement different common freqs. For example Strike and CAP west on common 251.000, Strike and CAP east on 251.100. No need for AV8b's to be on the same common as A10's striking somewhere else

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

DCS automatically puts out BRA and other warnings on the AWACs frequency. Which is the other reason that everyone should listen in.

I am really not sure what the problem is. Use one frequency for flight frequency and another for common/AWACs. It just requires everyone not to transmit on the common/AWACs unless it is genuinely common or to AWACs. There is always MIDS for ac that only have 2 standard boxes.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Flyco wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 11:07 DCS automatically puts out BRA and other warnings on the AWACs frequency. Which is the other reason that everyone should listen in.

I am really not sure what the problem is. Use one frequency for flight frequency and another for common/AWACs. It just requires everyone not to transmit on the common/AWACs unless it is genuinely common or to AWACs. There is always MIDS for ac that only have 2 standard boxes.
i agree, my problem is coordinating between flights, we got a bit cluttered the other night
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I didn't say there was a problem if your refering to my idea. I have been flying missions with big groups and this is one of the things they do. You can have BRA calls on 2 different freqs.

Return to “Squadron Flights”