Tuesday 9th June 2020

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 9th June 2020

Post by Matt »

Alan we landed with around 2000lbs of fuel remaining, my bingo was set for 3900, however I could have pushed that down some....it was a rather conservative level to be sure, but i feel 3500lbs would be a fine bingo to allow for any go arounds on landing.

I think the mission for Colt is perfectly sufficient to be honest buddy, was nice to have the added task of the helo's too!
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

I have the tacview file if anybody wants it.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

One note about yesterday op for Hog flight.
Waypoint 6 FARP was not on the FARP. (Maybe altittude) It took a visual approach to understand where it was. Because I already know the mission, wasn't a big deal (in fact a nice chalenge) but I must say our intelligence have't done a good job 😀.
Sorry in advance if I'm mistaken and if by chance I wasn't slewing the TGP as I should, but I remenber I did the WP as SPI and all I could see was trees.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Luis, I try to put exact positions only if the attacking aircraft have a limited search ability. With a pod, it should be possible to look around to find and identify it. The exception is a fixed (or relatively fixed) object such as a blockhouse of SAM radar. The Tunguska is a mobile unit and thus able to move, making an accurate position a bit unrealistic.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Flyco wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 13:00 Luis, I try to put exact positions only if the attacking aircraft have a limited search ability. With a pod, it should be possible to look around to find and identify it. The exception is a fixed (or relatively fixed) object such as a blockhouse of SAM radar. The Tunguska is a mobile unit and thus able to move, making an accurate position a bit unrealistic.
Bo worries Alan, I just mention it to mission editor knowlege (I thought may be usefull) . I understand inteligence can not be 100% accurate, so, we must do some work as pilots. Nice one.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Thanks Paul, I have now looked at the TacView you sent me. Apart from the A-10s, and the Harriers it does look as though few followed (or even read?) the brief. In particular at least one of the F-18 appeared to think that the Carrier force was the enemy, in that he fired at least two HARMs in their direction.

I do not think I will proceed with any more details of the de-brief - even if I could see through my tears.

Ah well - perhaps next time?
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

What part of the brief didn't UZI follow?

We were pretty on point as far as I saw, save for the gremlins causing me to have to restart on the boat and thus a tad late TOT and the gremlins due to the bombline and release cues not working at all. Despite that we pretty much accomplished all of the tasks in hand.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Flyco wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 13:57 In particular at least one of the F-18 appeared to think that the Carrier force was the enemy, in that he fired at least two HARMs in their direction.
That was me. I aimed it at the briefed SAM6 that had me locked up, and for the second successive mission, the HARMs just did a 180, and decided the Tarawa was a juicier target. I can’t imagine why it would be more concerned about a friendly radar emission coming from 4x the distance to the real target, and in completely the opposite direction!

I also had Issues with the TACAN for the carrier - but having lost my connection it really didn’t affect the outcome.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The 'Mea Culpa' soft answer which turneth away wrath, eh Neil?

As for Father Cools protestations go - I apologise. I have looked again and can see that you were airfield attacking. I had forgotten that the plan had changed.

That said, I have just flown the airfield attack against Gelendzikh in a F-16, and it went OK. I presume that the "HUD" problem was its low intensity - certainly much dimmer than the last time I flew it. The sortie I flew was 90%+ over the sea and at 250 ft agl and 420 kias it was uncomfortable but do-able. It should have been a little easier against Maykop where around 70-80% is over the land. It would have been uncomfortable into real sun but DCS doesn't do real sunlight.

Nevertheless I am glad that most people seemed to enjoy it.

I was doubly cross, because when I gave my headset a once over this morning it was fine. I suspect that it was some sort of a disconnect in the software within the PC, and had I exited, switched off, and re-entered it would probably have worked.
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

No Alan the HUD problem was in the F14 it had glitched so I had a bombline which went at 45degrees to one side so the CCRP wouldn't pickle and the CCIP was the same but without the targetting pipper so all drops were 100% guesswork.

I know you don't have the F14 so may not be familer with the systems but it was a DCS issue with alignment or something. Either way it was a thankless task hitting targets on the night.

It was nothing to do with the sun, lighting or anything else. The instruments were simply borked. I think its multiplayer or server based as I don't have any issues in single player mode.

Iut of curiousity what are the wind settings for the mission? There is a known issue where wind settings that differ at certain levels can mess with the F14s bomb alignment.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Return to “Squadron Flights”