Tuesday 16th June 2020

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 16th June 2020

Post by Flyco »

I have admitted my sin, 4 messages above.

I am sorry, that's it! Sackcloth and ashes are unobtainable during "lockdown".
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

SF3

Post by SF3 »

Those few red fighter that did get airborne, and those already airborne. found the SEAD flight scattered and took full advantage - helped I believe by at least one blue-on-blue. The SEAD also initially headed for the SAMs, rather than the Tunguskas that were the priority targets“

I would like to see the invisible paint removed from the mig21 ,
The spawn from no where , right into in the middle of our flight , instantly launching IR gave no time to react .

Just a little further out or at least out of their middle range would be nice

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

We were taking on both targets at the same time. Unfortunately some technical issues meant I took off alone and let my wingie catch up once he got into the air, and he arrived in the middle of the furball.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

abraxsus

Post by abraxsus »

Alan - One observation I'd make is the direction of the Carrier in respect to the wind. Carrier needs to be headed into the wind for launch and recovery. Just FYI I also destroyed 3 MIG21's in the air. Thanks for a great evening :)
Squadron Leader Yogi "Wildcard" Parashara

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Yogi, the carriers are heading 110 (M). The wind is 077/8kts (I presume True). That gives a headwind of around 6 kts and a cross wind of around 5 kts. The carriers are steaming at 20 kts, giving a total head wind of 26kts. All well within limits, I would have thought.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

In reality, carriers always turn into the eye of the wind for launch and recovery, so in game, we need them steaming directly into the wind too. I don't think they ever do cross wind stuff because why would you when your runway can be pointed in any direction.
ImageImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Neil Willis wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 14:50 I thrier was always turned into wind for launch and recovery, so in game, we need them steaming into the eye of the wind. I don't think they ever do cross wind stuff.
could just turn wind off??? doesnt matter which way the carrier goes then
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

maggsy

Post by maggsy »

john (scooby) wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 16:54
Neil Willis wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 14:50 I thrier was always turned into wind for launch and recovery, so in game, we need them steaming into the eye of the wind. I don't think they ever do cross wind stuff.
TBH until ED fix the lateral tyre traction issues with the F-16 we really struggle with any sort of crosswind so no wind would be perfect for us, I had always restrained from asking for zero wind as I thought it would impact any carrier ops but if the carrier can create the correct wind across the deck without the weather then it would be a nice bonus for us in the wonky 16
Flight Lieutenant Steve "maggsy" Maggs - RAFAir UK
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

maggsy wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 17:36
john (scooby) wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 16:54
TBH until ED fix the lateral tyre traction issues with the F-16 we really struggle with any sort of crosswind so no wind would be perfect for us, I had always restrained from asking for zero wind as I thought it would impact any carrier ops but if the carrier can create the correct wind across the deck without the weather then it would be a nice bonus for us in the wonky 16
iv no idea how the harriers and hornets feel about the wind but the tomcat honestly just doesnt care :lol: you can take off from the back of the boat without even bothering with the catapult :lol:
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Harriers always operate into the wind if they can too. Vertical take off and landings at least.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Squadron Flights”