Tuesday 1st September 2020

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Tuesday 1st September 2020

Post by Neil Willis »

Tonight’s mission will be Op Deep Valley.

Pre-flight briefing - 19:30 hrs Alpha.

Take off - 20:00 hrs Alpha.

Please note missions may be recorded and published, including voice track. If you wish to make a recording, please make the mission commander aware prior to joining the server. All pilots should assume their comments may reach a wider audience, and act accordingly.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Chris

Re: Tuesday 1st September 2020

Post by Chris »

IN:
FODDER
HENDO
ROBBO
MIKE
GIZZY
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Chris

Post by Chris »

As a follow on from tonight's meeting and as a clear example of what needs looked at.

4 Harrier slots, 5 pilots - that was okay we posted late, - I elected to do some SP training.

No briefing. 4 relatively new pilots with no history of this mission did the best they could.

Turned out to be air start, some with weapons some without. Dropped stores and dumped fuel landed on carrier. On TAXI invisible hole killed 2 harriers.

2 Harriers rearmed and took off. Made it to the target area and shot down by M29s and SAMs. No CAP, No SEAD.

No command and control of this air attack present like most RAFAIR missions. If there was, no mater the logistical issues of people turning up or not some imagination could have still made the mission enjoyable.

I understand the logistics of writing missions for a determined number of threats and aircraft but if there is a mismatch like tonight command and control - i.e. an AMC or a BOSS can still save the day.
Kind Regards

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Chris, don't understand why the Harriers were an air start - I will look at that.

The mission was designed for 8 A-10s (we got 2), 8 F-14s (quite a few turned up - thanks), 4-8 F-18s, and, 2-4 F-16s, and 4 Harriers. We have flown it successfully with fewer than required previously, but tonight was just a bit OTT.

I got shot down even before I reached the target area - I am told it was blue on blue, but there was break in my Tacview at that point. Being very brave I got airborne again, but all the blue ac were on their way home by then and there were about 4 or more Red's coming for me. I poked my tongue out at them and waggled my arse and they came after me. Eventually I pulled a couple of them within range of the Hawk battery, evading 4 missiles from the bravest (most stupid?) Su-33. Finally, I got my revenge and the Hawk battery took out my attacker. So I am going to count that as a win!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Chris

Post by Chris »

Thank you Allen, I suspect that version was introduced when the Tarawa was bad... of course it still is... only 2 can spawn at a time..due I believe to ED's carrier coding and Razbam not deciding to sort the Tarawa until the Super Carriers are all good.

Even the air start is not without problems for some as by the time their cockpit is rendered some are fish food.

Safest bet to Airport spawn and land back at the Tarawa until ED finally stop coding the super carriers and Razbam fix the Tarawa.

Joey's Hermes can take more spawns ironically but more testing is needed and the we cannot use it unless it is placed in a universal MOD pack which may not happen as the file sizes are quite large and everyone will need it to join the server.
Kind Regards

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The Harriers were, as you said, airborne.

I always fly all of the missions in each of the ac (except F-14 which I don't have) before I open it for Group use. Because I am lazy, and have problems remembering checks these days, I put them in 'hot' - I clearly forgot to reset the Harriers - Sorry again.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”