OPERATION FRIEND SHIP session 1 DEBRIEF

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: OPERATION FRIEND SHIP

Post by Flyco »

Chris, with an 04:30(C) take-off, NOE, over the sea, I think I feel a bad head-cold coming on!

Do you plan to use NVGs? I ask because, if so, I need to do a bit of practice beforehand.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Chris

Post by Chris »

Yes sir, the era allows nvgs... but I arranged for a full moon at it's zenith at take off time... on spawn, go to options, system, a d set gamma around 1.8 or s.o.. it will be fine.. worst case I stole your A10 and its in there but I am confident it will be grand and Andrew will have you suitably placed.
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Chris

Post by Chris »

Yes sir, the era allows nvgs... but I arranged for a full moon at it's zenith at take off time... on spawn, go to options, system, a d set gamma around 1.8 or s.o.. it will be fine.. worst case I stole your A10 and its in there but I am confident it will be grand and Andrew will have you suitably placed.
Kind Regards

Alien

Post by Alien »

Chris,

We have no FM capability in the F14 ( Springfield 34.0 FM ) as per Command & Comms brief

Only UHF 1 ARC 159
V/UHF 2 ARC 182
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks for pointing that Shane... appreciated mate... but I think you'll find that AN/ARC 182 is capable on FM for part of the freq spread.

For the TOMs I have set CHAN 1 to 5 to 31 to 35 MHz FM with CHAN 6 set to 30 MHz FM.
This will allow comms to all FLIGHTS if required and your own in-flight channel.

Tested in cockpit and using JESTER to change channels SRS reacted correctly.
Kind Regards

Chris

Post by Chris »

Forgot to mention if any TOM wants to privately test this in flight give me a shout and I will set up a quick test mission - no worries.... else have a bag of signal flags handy ha ha
Kind Regards

Alien

Post by Alien »

Chris wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 15:07 Thanks for pointing that Shane... appreciated mate... but I think you'll find that AN/ARC 182 is capable on FM for part of the freq spread.

For the TOMs I have set CHAN 1 to 5 to 31 to 35 MHz FM with CHAN 6 set to 30 MHz FM.
This will allow comms to all FLIGHTS if required and your own in-flight channel.

Tested in cockpit and using JESTER to change channels SRS reacted correctly.
Indeed it is Chris, sorry , my bad , Note to self, do your homework before posting :lol:
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Chris

Re: OPERATION FRIEND SHIP session 1 DEBRIEF

Post by Chris »

Well did it make the earth move for you!

My aim was to try and get all airframes acting in a coordinated manner in a theatre which is constantly changing depending on each others successes or failures.

Major Issues
SRS AWAC extended radio control turned off on UK Air Server. This effectively negated any form of command and control. This caused a lot of problems in GAMEMASTER mode and the only recourse was for me to use Teamspeak channels and speak in the clear over riding anyone on SRS at that time and of course constantly jumping channel to channel. Additionally there was not a direct path to command unless you could view TS and jump to where I was at that time. Running C&C from a cockpit is limited with F10 blind compared to Gamemaster. Perhaps if I had dumbed down all the tasking and kept them separated it would have not been a problem running just on audio from a cockpit.

Tarawa had been tested on MP and allowed 8 spawns. This time DCS would only allow 6 even after the deck had cleared. Had to use spares by the base for the other 2 with a 30 mile hike to rejoin troop which gave false triggers to the LZ for the main helo landing

GW had been tested albeit SP for F14 and Harrier concurrent spawn. On mission in MP DCS the Harriers were sidelined and could not spawn period. 2 hot spare at Kentucky provided some therapy though and 2 lads had to go home... sorry!

Apologies lads for the hassle, for me, it was not very enjoyable ha ha…. it can only get better

That said, the objectives of the Commander was met despite the confusion

Fort Kentucky was secured, built, defences in and operational in time.
Batumi was assaulted by helo commandos and from the air directed by JTAC.
Cap worked for the most part – only 1 helo was lost to a su27 which slipped in.

As is normal in RL some targets were not seen or missed and the occasional slip was made.

If you wish to post a debrief point fire away but no platitudes, be honest especially on enjoyment / stress etc
Kind Regards

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

It was ok, the Heli ops were a bit tricky and we were a little disjointed until we all got back together at the LZ. I personnay struggled with the LRRP drop, in that my distance appreciation on the F10 was shite and I ended up doing a massive circuit; still landed at the correct site though : :lol: The last combatb drop for me was the most enjoyable, especially with the sun rising! The whole night ops was a real challenge and the more enjoyable for it.
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

chaotic but fun! initial feedback from 11 is they LOVED IT!!
dcs made it awkward for everybody especially chris!!!
suggestion box.
helos should preassign flight slots and spawn in that order,
take off as a flight and orbit the ship in formation to allow to stragglers to spawn afterwards and get airbourne, we all ended up doing pretty well to get to the lz imo
i found and formated with lead until i disconnected! i LOVE night formation flying!
not gonna lie respawning quick and then HAMMERING along at 120-130 knots with the huey shaking itself to bits and then catching the flight AS THEYRE LANDING was cool as hell lol
60 got troops dropped off nicely!
sling loading at night is HARD! especially when you pick the load right at the edge of the deck so your helo is desperate to fall over the side of the boat lol. well done to everybody who got dropped building equip off at kentucky,
naughty harriers caused at least 1 blue on blue, im tootling along and the lead huey explodes randomly right in front of me :lol: (i took temporary lead)

jumping in an f14 was chaotic lol i never really got on top of who was where in the limited time available and chris being awacs was CRUCIAL for me so thanks again chris!
phoenixes seemed to play silly buggers and veer away from the redair at the last second (need to view tacview to check what happened)
got shot in the arse by an su27 who got past the merge :(
then ended up merged with a mig21, dogfighting in the dark is HARD!!! especially when your sidewinders go on strike with a perfect kill shot right there for the taking :lol: ended up with a nice tracking gunskill (overkill actually lol) which lookked very pretty in the dark.
oh i can confirm phoenix can and WILL track ships :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: poor tarawa ate 1 of mine for 2% damage, i couldnt believe it!
i can confirm a tomcat can land at kentucky (which is near identical to the range we use btw!) EASILY! actually got it stopped in half the length of the runway, i also have no doubt even a fully loaded tomcat can takeoff too although i havent tested that.

could somebody send me a tacview file please mine didnt record anything
MASSIVE thanks to chris for organising this monster of a task! mustve been like hearding cats especially given dcs isms involved
pps REALLY looking forward to videos hint hint chris :lol:
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”