OPERATION FRIEND SHIP session 1 DEBRIEF

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Alien

Re: OPERATION FRIEND SHIP session 1 DEBRIEF

Post by Alien »

I personally thoroughly enjoyed it and I believe the Springfield flight did too.
My only concern was the chaotic comms, I like everyone else could have done with at least 4 ears, i have 2 one of which doesn't work very well :lol: for part deux we have permission to have seperate in flight comms
for each element.

A big shout to Pointer 1 ( Hendo ) for his JTAC call, well done. I haven't bombed at night using goggles and IR Pointer for a very long time but it went well and Hind Helo's at Batumi were destroyed.
I went Winchester very quickly, no names , no pack drill. so it was RTB
Got to shout out to my RIO, excellent job mucker, and indeed to Springfield flight on a challenging night in Georgia, Well done guys.
Very much looking forward to part deux.

Thankyou Chris for putting on a show and maintaining your sense of humour when the comms went boobies up 8-)
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

As John says, spawning in, setting callsigns and debarkation from the ship was not smooth. This we can work on quite easily.

For next Monday I will be more prepared for setting up the flight, so we are all clear on our flight positions and call signs and take off procedure.

I think we should have a 5 min pause between general briefing to entering the server. That would give a chance to have a separate brief in squadron TS and we then enter server in a less disjointed way.

Overall I enjoyed the evening's entertainment, all 3hrs of it.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Part 2 is tonight isnt it?
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Alien

Post by Alien »

john (scooby) wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 07:59 Part 2 is tonight isnt it?
Yesh, on TS for 19.00 - 19.15, for a quick debrief on last nights Op, what we can do better / improve on / comms etc etc
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I thought the mission - despite the setbacks due to technical issues was excellent.

I have turned on all the options in SRS on the server, so AWACS etc should work as advertised now. They always have been turned on, but it looks like a recent update has reset all the prefs.

Could the choppers operate of the deck of a super carrier instead of the Tarawa, which has always been borked as far as I can tell. We can always keep it in theatre so Harriers can land-on after the sortie, but for spawning we need something much more co-operative. Anyone tried the Hermes to see if that works better?

Thanks for this great new series Chris. Once the gremlins are resolved it looks to be a hugely immersive and demanding task. Excellent!
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Hi Chris,

Sounds like it went well last night.

I have just heard from my sister to say she is not going to be able to get to us this week, so I am available tonight if you have a spare A10 slot. Don't worry if not.

Richard
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

As is evident from the above responses, it started with chaos and only slowly got a bit better.

From the R/W point of view, the Tarawa capacity problem didn't help, but primarily there was no overall control and a clear indication that some had not read the brief! There was uncertainty about where to land, despite the clear maps provided in the brief some days before. Once in our sqn rooms on Teamspeak, we need to allocate callsigns, and ensure that everyone knows what is happening, where we are going and what is the timing. The route was Tarawa - Nelson - LZ Charlie; then ferry stores from Nelson to the DZ (which no-one ever visited), while 2 ac delivered the LRRS (that last bit seemed to go OK). I dropped out at that point having damaged a skip sliding around KTC, looking where to pick up the assault troops. Unfortunately I had R/T problems which did not help.

It was also disappointing to see Blue on Blue again despite the clear separation and instructions in the mission brief.

It is a taxing sortie and certainly deserving of development.

I am sorry if anyone is offended by my candour, but believe me that is nothing to the debriefs that used to follow the C-130 30-ship plus assaults that we flew in the 1970s - and we lost men on at least one of those exercises. In the dark, mixed nationalities, and uncertain of where the drop zone was etc.

Gents it all comes down to planning, briefing, control, and then discipline. Last night the planning was not too bad, the briefing a bit haphazard the control haphazard and the discipline sadly lacking.

We can get better!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Just an afterthought on the Tarawa. How about flying in 2 separate 4-ships. The first 4 with a hot start and the second 4 spawning once the all the first section is airborne. I don't know if it will work, technically, but it might be worth testing it.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Plexi

Post by Plexi »

Enjoyed last nights little bish bash, bloody good fun I thought. Andrew I do apologize mate for your untimely demise. I had an 29 lock me up and turned head on to him and got a tone and lock straight away, as I let loose I saw a gaggle of Huey's drift across left to right and unfortunately my Aim9 decided you where the juicer target. Got to say my first Blue on Blue and I was somewhat mortified. Was pretty hectic at times. It was dodgy start for 1F at the beginning of the mission as we were unable to spawn on the Carrier and indeed it ended up with us only being able to use two Harriers. None the less I for one enjoyed the whole thing despite the hic-ups and am looking forward to tonight. Shout out to Hendo you did an awesome job. Shout out to Chris too for putting on a stunning mission.
Squadron Leader
Peter "Plexi" Sumner
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Quote: 'A superior Pilot may be defined as one who stays out of trouble by using his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skill'

Chris

Post by Chris »

Neil Willis » 27 Oct 2020, 09:40
Thanks for sorting the SRS Neil - great stuff... I'll glue my fingernails on now....
Richard Rodgers » 27 Oct 2020, 09:52
Of course Sir, I'll get the lads to switch on the heated lambswool cushion for you.
Flyco » 27 Oct 2020, 10:01
All good Alan, thats what I like to hear, a professional debrief, one I can understand your POV, as I said 'no platitudes' LOL

The Tarawa and Hermes I thought were sorted and MP tests on sunday with 8 ships worked fine... DCS I suppose.... just like Harries and F14s on the GW. Normally I use 2 carriers with 4 on each or not so long ago 4 carriers with 2 on each.... hot start and join on one then the others are deactivated - I thought we were past that but... ha ha

On the chaos front, live ATC is introduced for all tonight as well as JTAC and 97 does not have a proper airport.... but at least it is a tadge lighter so sharpen your pencil Sir....
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Return to “Squadron Flights”