Deep Valley II

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Alien

Re: Deep Valley II

Post by Alien »

Count 11Sqdn as being in for this one, primarily CAP but we can also bomb airfields / Runways / Buildings etc
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Alien

Post by Alien »

Count 11Sqdn in for this one please.

I've just downloaded the miz file and it would appear I need WWII Assets and some Virpil stuff ??????????? I don't have it therefore could not view it in ME
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Depends how long to get responses, Andrew. I need those to put in the opposition. It is not a good idea to put in 50 red interceptors if we only have 5 Blue CAP ac etc.

You will see that the Huey routes are on the map already. I would welcome your checking them out. As I say you will not be able to get into the small valley until the Shilka and manpad are knocked out. If you want, we can fly it 2 handed - I will knock out the red AD and you can get into the valley and look at the pick-up. Alternatively, you can go in with immortal and invisible set.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Shane, I will take a look. Certainly we don’t need WW2 stuff, and I don’t know what the Virpil stuff is - I think they are a joystick manufacturer!
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Shane, I will take out the WW2 item - it is a British truck that crept in un-noticed.

The “virpil” stuff are a couple of British (current) soldiers, masquerading as SAS spies. Again, they are not critical and I can change them to US troops. However, these are from the “VPC Object by voc & virpil.com” collection, and are used widely - It might be worth downloading this, there are a lot of miscellaneous items that are frequently used from this collection. I am surprised you have not come across them before. I think there is a pointer to this package on our Forum, but I don’t recall where.

As for the role of 11 Sqn, please assume you will be providing air cover for (primarily) the Hueys and A-10s. Threats are from Maykop, Beslan and Mozdok, but there is also a possibility (towards the end of the mission) of Su-25s from Nalchik mounting a revenge strike on one of our airfields. There may also be F-16s and/or F-18s providing an element of air-cover including SEAD HARMs. Initially you should plan on providing the main leak-proof cover for us brave ground-pounders and rotor- heads in the main central area.
Image Image Image Image

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

Hi Alan, I'm a bit late seeing this but we'd be happy to hit one or two airfields for you, if we're in time to take a spot? We could probably provide one 8 ship or two 4 ship flights.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Roon, you are not late. I suggest you take Maykop. It is the temporary base for the bulk of the Mig-21s. They are scattered, but a run along parallel to the runway direction should cover most of the pans. There is an emplacements ZSU at either end of the airfield, and a S-9 on one of the pans. The fixed guns are not usually a problem and provided you are low and fast on the run-in the Sam is not too threatening.

I have done runs from either end, in both the F-18 and the F-16, at 300 ft and 520kias, and it is fairly straightforward. I prefer the NE to SW option myself - it’s also a quicker exit once you have poked your stick into the hornets’ nest - but you will be better able to sort that out yourself. Choose yourself a departure field and load out, plot a route in and out, and let me have a copy - I will transfer it to the master plan. The final number and distribution of aircraft on the field will be different to the current one, just to stop cheating.

As I say the targets are in the open, but there will be the odd pair transiting between Maykop and Beslan, so it is pot luck whether you get bounced or not. There will be top cover from the F-14s, as well as some SEAD, although you should be able to transit LL between any real SAM threats.

Let me know if there is any more information you want, or any changes to the layout, or AA threat. No great rush, it will take a week or two to get replies from everyone.
Image Image Image Image

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

Hi again Alan, we've cast our planning eye over the map and threats - we have sufficient valleys and high granite to cover an approach to Maykop we think. Is there any chance that we can have a .miz with just the SAM sites and any ships shown on your map please as we can't make out which valleys to use without more detail being available?

If something unexpected crops up on route we can generally turn the formation and deviate from the route to avoid and get back on TOT, but not several times. We have designated runway, taxy way and dispersals as our DMPI's and should manage a 6 or 8 ship.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Flyco, If I understood correctly from last night's meeting you'd like "volunteers" from each sqn to act as points of contact for planning for deep valley.

Please add my name to the list for a point of contact and let me know What you need from 3(F)

Regards

Andy
Sqn Leader Andrew "Beanie" Benson - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Thanks Beanie. Just tidying up the main A-10 and Huey elements, around which the supporting cast operate. I plan to announce a wide selection of support tasks, so that individual elements can chose and plan them to fit in the time line.

Expect
In-close SEAD against threatening SAMs in support of main strike and freeing CAP to operate.
CAP fairly close to the main area.
A couple of airfield strikes to put the bad guys out of action.
Possible ‘surprise’ interception of a low level response strike from Red.
A separate LL incursion to knock out a RW FOB.

The whole thing is very integrated as regards time, so that 5 mins early or late by any element can give big problems.

It is going to be a week or two before I need to liaise with supporting units. It will be then that we need to ‘sit round the table’ and identify the remaining tasks. Then once I know what we have I will set up the ‘unknowns’, which will come to light during the mission.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”