Deep Valley II

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Deep Valley II

Post by Flyco »

I hope to get the outline, with the various Sqn tasks, out by this weekend.

It should allow Sqns to identify, what they might like to do, and an outline of how they might do it. A typical outline of one task might be:

“Destroy the FOB at location xxxx, by 0630. Targets are to include the FARP, supply vehicles, and the Hind ac based there. Observation suggests that they are at a low alert state and do not get their daily routine underway much before 0700. On site threats include Shilka, man pads and AFVs. The closest Red airfield is Maykop, around 40 nm to the NW, but the Mig-21s based there will also be attacked at the same time by Blue G/A. Aircraft. The town 4 nm to the north of the FOB is not to be hit.”

The decision on where to launch from, how many ac to use, what weapons and routes etc, will be entirely at the discretion of the individual Sqn/Flt Cdrs. Once Sqns have made their initial inputs, these will be passed to other Sqn Cdrs to ensure deconfliction etc. If necessary, an on-line discussion will be held to resolve questions etc. It will also be possible to remove, or modify any tasks is required.

With all the tasks plotted out, they should be passed to me and I will enter them on the master map. This will be passed back to Sqn/Flt Cdrs for them to use to prepare their individual briefs.

I believe that this is in line with the recent meeting that we had about future planning of missions. I would welcome any comments or suggestions, and I will also need a name to contact if any late problems arise with integrating the individual tasks.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

On re-reading the above, I realise that my initial use of the expression “Sqn Tasks” could be misleading. I, of course do not identify the Sqn to carry out each task. I will identify “Tasks”, but (naturally, I would not accept, say, Hueys to do a CAP task!). Any tasks for which I do not have a Taker will be removed, and Red force altered to accommodate this.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have attached the provisional .miz for Op Deep Valley 2, together with a corrected Initial Warning Order. The changes from the earlier version are mainly minor corrections and clarifications (I hope). The .miz includes all the targets, and the provisional routes for the A-10s and Hueys (although the latter have still to be OK'd by the Huey rep).

The timings are critical, since the main Red force responses will be triggered by a nominal detection of Blue ac inbound.

- Mission start time is 05:30 (local) i.e. Dawn - ish.

- The default timings for the A-10 are T/O at 05:50-05:5 (local) and the first TOTs are 06:05 to 06:10.

- The default timings for the Hueys are T/O at 05:45, with a planned arrival at the Valley of 06:15 for the Gunships and 06:20 for the NBC team. They are likely to be in area or up to 15-20 minutes.

The expectation is that initial Red air cover will be in area, baying for blood, by 06:15, with the bulk following on over the next 15-45 minutes.
The actual Red responses will be programmed later to match Blue strength, but will be from Beslan, Maykop, and Mozdok - probably in that order.

We will require
- Early close CAP from 06:15
- SEAD (3+ SAMs pre-targeted) to allow red fighters free reign in the area.
- LL Strike against Maykop (bulk of Mig-21s)
- LL strike against the Red RW supply base and helicopters situated around 12 nm NNW of the main Valley (just S of Ahsay)
- Possible close cover for the Hueys, as they transport their 'spoils' from the Valley area to their drop-of point around 15 nm S of the area.
- The ability to intercept any attempt from the Su-35s to mount a counter-strike at our bases.

I have had several offers in principle, from both F-18 units, F-16s and F-14s. As a first step may I ask that these 4 units put their heads together to decide who should do what. They should then each plot their routes, with timings, on the attached .miz, and send them back to me. Once I have them, I will transcribe them all to the main map and and issue that for final checking. We can then hold a short meeting to iron out any points of issue. I will modify the Red numbers and timings, once I have seen our plan - this is to ensure that neither side gets a walk-over.

Any significant observations or problems should be raised as soon as possible through this thread, so that everyone can stay in touch with any changes or problems.
Attachments
Op Deep Valley 2 Prep.miz
(4.96 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Deep Valley Warning Order.pdf
(425.04 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”