Mission Timings

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Flyco
Site Admin

Mission Timings

Post by Flyco »

Given the kerfuffle over timings on our last mission, can I raise 2 general points, with regard to Ellac (and more generally).

Firstly, I note that the timings are given in Local time (ie.start at 0600). However, I believe most of the aircraft clocks automatically start in Zulu. Can I suggest that we specify the time to be used during any mission. I understand that using local time (as in Op Ellac) ties in with the sun's position, but it is contrary to normal military practice. I therefore suggest that we always refer to time in Zulu and get into the habit of saying, for example, "Boar's ETA is 0430 Zulu" just to reduce confusion.

I also note that all the other ac on the mission, have a start time of 0600 (reasonably so). However, some then plot their first WP as the waypoint immediately after T/O. Thus around 2-3 minute after mission start, they are are shown as airborne and well into their climb by then. I suggest it would be better if all flights plotted their WP 1 at the start of take-of, and enter their planned take-off time as the time at that point.

I know, I am being an old woman again, but it does make sense to me! What do others think?
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Mission Timings

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Please refer to the TOT Sop. I have cobbled it together, I'm hoping it's clear, but maybe it's not.

I have said stated that the times used for TOT are zulu. Please re-read the Ellac thread, I will need to make it clearer if there is confusion. Unfortunately the mission editor uses local time and this is where the confusion may lay.

TOT will be something that we should all work towards. In this mission a TOT has been given in the FRAG, I hope everyone tries to achieve it even though it will not really affect anyone else's flight, apart from 3f and 41.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Mission Timings

Post by 0405 Andrew »

TOT SOP
• All times are Zulu.
• All Squadrons commit to achieve assigned TOT
• Delayed starts will be called on Overlord 251.00 using this standard call
"All units, ROLEX is +5"
for example, everyone adds 5 mins to their T/O and TOT times.
• All squadrons proceed to target unless the Rolex call is heard.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”