Well that went alright, good mission tonight

Sqdn thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from my landing and Father Cool's :lol:
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 19/10/21 Palmyra attack re-run

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Excellent, 892 had a cracking mission as well.

I think it justifies running the same mission twice, all the bits can be ironed out and hopefully improved upon. That's applies to the design, planning and flying.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Alien

Post by Alien »

High praise indeed from Chris, Keep up the good work.

Abit of time off from missions now mate to practice your Red Arrow moves :lol:

Some nice aviation from 892
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

97Sqn OP PALMYRA RE-RUN DEBRIEF.

Andrew, thanks for creating an interesting, and challenging mission. It was a long, and lonely flight, as I flew it as a singleton.

Alan, congratulations on publishing a detailed brief, and flight plan. I transited to the target area, and back to base, avoiding a multitude of AAA’s.

I rearmed with 42 laser 282’s, 42*M151’s, and 6*Mk82’s. Take off time was 0539hrs, so a lot of time spent checking my systems, before taxi to Rayak r/w 04. Andrew did give me the chance to alter t/o time, but I politely refused.

My targets were 3 moving convoys, each consisting of 7*URAL 375’s, and 1*Shilka. I knew that I would need to destroy all 3 shilka’s, before I could get to work with my guns and 151’s.

Transit to the TGT area was uneventful, mostly at 100-200ft AGL. I could see most of the AAA on my RWR, but sticking to the flight plan kept me safe.

TOT for the first strike was 0607hrs. The first shilka was destroyed 20sec early, with laser rockets. I missed all the telegraph poles. I’m expecting to be called into Pauls’ office, and told to buck up my performance. I believe I missed the TOT because with moving TGT’s, you need an accurate WP for the shilka position at exactly 0607hrs.

Second shilka was destroyed at 061206hrs. My TGP did well to keep it locked up as it manoeuvred through some previous damage.

Setting up for the final shilka, I called UZI, gave my position, and requested help against a MIG29 behind me. It was well out of lethal range. UZI responded. I called UZI again when the MIG disappeared of my RWR, and turned to start my attack on the final ZSU.

On my attack run, the MIG appeared again. Another call to UZI, as I retreated low level to set up my attack again. One reply mentioned a low level MIG, and another call that it had been destroyed. One call from “Father Cool” called me Paul, so I maybe getting some things right. Total flight time was 1hr48mins. For 12mins I didn’t feel lonely. Thanks guys. If it was 3(F) Sqn giving me support, thanks again. Strange, but on TacView, I could not see the troublesome MIG.

Final shilka was killed at 062402hrs. I then went to work with my M151’s and Mk82’s, on the URAL’s. For some reason I could not get my guns to operate. Will research why later.

DCS scoreboard recoded 25kils. Deciding not to overstay my welcome, I jettisoned several laser rockets, and set course for Rayak. Overlord was advised that I was RTB. TacView gave me 3*shilka's, and 7*URAL's with lots of hits against vehicles that survived.

Thirty miles from Rayak, I called inbound. ATC told me r/w was 22. Different from t/o, but meant a straight in approach. Approach, landing, and taxi back to parking was uneventful. The crew chief was delighted I hadn’t scratched his paintwork.

Really enjoyed myself. Thanks again Andrew, Alan, and CAP. Shame I missed the first instalment.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Great After Action Report Geoff, thanks for posting.

Good hits on those Shilkas it sounded like a very well executed plan and without a scratch on the paintwork!
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Today's update included this...

Fixed: HARM (TOO) can not see search radars when they are late activated.

Hopefully it will stop me getting taken out by the SAM 6 next time!

:D
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Black-Witch

Post by Black-Witch »

Great AAR Geoff, very atmospheric, thanks.

Cheers

Witch
The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception.

Manfred Freiherr Von Richthofen.

Return to “Squadron Flights”