09-11-21 Operation Gauntlet

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: 09-11-21 Operation Gauntlet

Post by Flyco »

Like Geoff, I have also looked at the Gauntlet mission, and there are a number of questions that it throws up. There tasking also allocates specific A-10C flights to targets; this really be left to 97 Sqn to decide.

What is required is a list of targets, together with the importance of each and any time-scales relating to their attack.

As I understand it at least three of the given targets are the same convoy, and the bridge it is planned to use. Additionally, it is not clear why at least one target (the Abasha bridge) is to be destroyed, and hence why it has a 'destroy by' time.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Sorry, I have just taken another look at the map and the tasking.

I see that the Chichu Bridge, as identified by co-ordinates, is a railway bridge. However the convoy is a road convoy which crosses the river around 1 nm South of the bridge nominated for destruction - is this correct?
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Father Cool wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 08:11 I am a little confused as yes the train moves along the track but it isn't a WW2 train as far as I know. The mission doesn't call for any asset packs other than the Harrier pack? In fact I don't even have the WW2 assets pack.
Father Cool,
Apologies. There is no WWII asset pack required.
As I was analysing your miz, I added several static objects, to help design a flight plan. I then saved it with a new title. It appears that some of the static objects I added, were WWII. These would have been deleted, before being returned to you.

This is all part of my flight preparation. I'm expecting Paul to ask me to lead this flight. Paul may ask Alan to lead again.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Flyco wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 10:19 Sorry, I have just taken another look at the map and the tasking.

I see that the Chichu Bridge, as identified by co-ordinates, is a railway bridge. However the convoy is a road convoy which crosses the river around 1 nm South of the bridge nominated for destruction - is this correct?
Hi Alan,

I am fine with 97 allocating their own targets, I can change the frag to just list the targets and TOT's if you would prefer. I am not precious about who destroys what, that's for your squadron to discuss. Once I have feedback from all squadron commanders I can revise the FRAG to suit.

The Chihu bridge is a railway bridge that should be destroyed by the given time in order to stop the train which is heading for Senaki 'carrying' an SA10 convoy. If the bridge isn't destroyed by the TOT then this SA10 will spawn at Senaki station when the train arrives and make its way to the airbase where it will set up and become active.

The convoy on the road near Chihu is also an SA10 moving to Senki for deployment, this is a separate target to the train and should be take out en route or else it will deploy on Senaki airbase also. The Abasha bridge needs to be destroyed as there is a convoy of artillary en route to Kutaisi which if it gets there will set about destroying our base of operations at that airbase. On Senaki airbase itself there are tank units, a command post and ground troops that can be taken out (these are secondary). The primary goal of the mission is to get 11F over the border and back safely after the neutralisation of the dirty bomb. Taking out these units will allow easier ingress and egress of the F-14's by keeping the Russian defences at bay.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

309 Geoff wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 10:48
Father Cool wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 08:11 I am a little confused as yes the train moves along the track but it isn't a WW2 train as far as I know. The mission doesn't call for any asset packs other than the Harrier pack? In fact I don't even have the WW2 assets pack.
Father Cool,
Apologies. There is no WWII asset pack required.
As I was analysing your miz, I added several static objects, to help design a flight plan. I then saved it with a new title. It appears that some of the static objects I added, were WWII. These would have been deleted, before being returned to you.

This is all part of my flight preparation. I'm expecting Paul to ask me to lead this flight. Paul may ask Alan to lead again.
No problem, I thought it was odd. If you have any questions please ask and then let me know your plans prior to the mission so that I can update the mission and frags as necessary prior to the flight.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Thanks, for all that. It is now much clearer.

Looks like one pair to Chichu and the convey from the West. A second pair to Asha, and then on to the station (given the surroundings we will cancel the CBUs.

Then everyone over to the main site to knock out everything else. Oh yes, Keep an eye out for the artillery heading for Kutaisi.
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Sounds good. If you get the Abasha bridge down before the convoy gets there it should stop their progress to Kutaisi.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Plexi messaged me yesterday regarding a TS meeting on this mission, it would probably be a good idea for a couple of reasons, one it's the first mission that I have done for everyone to be involved in and two, it will help to better explain what the objectives are and what each squadrons plans are in order to tackle their part of the mission.

To that end can I have dates for availability to jump on TS for an hour or so just to run through everyone's plans. I think it would also be an advantage if each squadron commander can have at least an outline of what their flight intentions are over to me (or even better posted here for all to see) prior to the meeting. That way any issues (I'm sure that I have not kept everyone happy!) can be addressed and ironed out.

Here is the latest INTEL miz. I have added rough areas of operation for each squadron which can be turned off in the draw menu.

There are now also SA-15's protecting some of the EWR radars that 892 are tasked with taking out. I am not sure if 41F will be involved in this so for now all FA18 tasks are in the hands of 892NAS. If 41F wish to take part then make it known.

Cheers FC.
OP Gauntlet INTEL.miz
(96.11 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

Father Cool wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 13:12 ....TS meeting on this mission, it would probably be a good idea ...
Let us know when and we will have some one there :)
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Father, your latest .miz is covered in coloured zones, to the extent that I can no longer see Kutaisi!

Do you want us to re-do our routes on this latest .miz? If so you are going to have to tell me how I can remove the coloured zones.

I am still awaiting OC 97s go ahead for my proposed plan.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”