16-11-21 Operation Gauntlet - ReRun

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Father Cool

16-11-21 Operation Gauntlet - ReRun

Post by Father Cool »

Hi all, this mission will run again next Tuesday. The brief remains the same except for 1F's tasking which instead of Runway denial of Sukhumi, Gudauta and Sochi they are now to disable SA10 and SA6 SAM sites at Sukhumi which is now a forward EWR/SAM and commander centre with no aircraft stationed there.

The SA10 and GCI network is not expected to come online unless blue aircraft breach the front line which is currently just north of Zugdidi running east to west and approx. 10 miles off the Abkhazian coast to beyond Sochi (I would recommend a 15mile buffer to the coast to ensure that the frontline is not breached initially). For 1F to have a chance of achieving this they must launch from a frontline FARP near Poti island and take out the SA10 and SA6's while the SA10 is still dormant, prior to 892 going in over into Abkhazia. 1F will then progress to attempt runway denial at Gudauta and possibly Sochi however Sochi may not be an immediate threat at this time. Once complete they can RTB or engage the command centre and EWRs at Sukhumi forward base.

All other taskings remain the same except for the home bases.

1F will be stationed near Poti island at LONDON FARP - TACAN 25X Freq 140.5
3F will now be stationed at Kobuleti
97 will also be stationed at Kobuleti
11F will depart from the USS Forrestal off shore near Kobulati
892 will depart from the USS Theodore Roosevelt off shore just north of Batumi

I have left everyone's waypoints as before except the ones relating to take offs and landings. 1F has a new set that I will publish shortly set on the new targets at Sukhumi.

I will issue a FRAG/Intel Overview before the weekend but want everyone to at least have a heads up and opportunity to ask questions or add comments ASAP.

Regards
FC
Last edited by Father Cool on 16 Nov 2021, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Father Cool

Re: 16-11-21 Operation Gauntlet - Tweaked

Post by Father Cool »

Ok revised FRAG, overview and INTEL file.

All waypoints etc in the actual mission are as per the previous mission except that I have moved the departure and landing WP's for 97 squadron to suit Kobuleti rather than Kutaisi.

892 and 11F are now carrier based and 1F have their own FARP (london) near Poti Island.

I have 3F stationed on CAP in the bay area however they will need to provide cover to the whole southern Abkhazia region, protecting 1F, 97 and 892 squadrons from potential Red Air coming in from Gudauta and Sochi.

As always feedback and agreed tactics between squadrons should be implemented prior to mission night.

Overview
Gauntlet 2 overview.jpg
Gauntlet 2 overview.jpg (552.37 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
FRAG
Op Gauntlet 2 MISSION FRAG.pdf
(399.59 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
INTEL Miz
OP Gauntlet INTEL.miz
(92.29 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Sukhumi Intel Images
Sukhumi Command Satellite.jpg
Sukhumi Command Satellite.jpg (407.26 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Sukhumi Latest Intel Image
Sukhumi Command Satellite 2.jpg
Sukhumi Command Satellite 2.jpg (371.3 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
Last edited by Father Cool on 14 Nov 2021, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have not had a chance to look at this mission in detail yet, but a couple of points stand out.

First we have the same TOT, but launching from a more remote airfield. An initial estimate is that we will need to get airborne at around 04:20 to make the TOT, which is unchanged. However, I note that the F-16 are also launching from Kobuleti, but I do not know their launch time. Can we ensure that there is a gap between them and us.

Secondly, there is no mention of the A-10 SEAD task - is this still extant.

Finally, I have seen no reaction to the mission, by other squadrons. Is it still going ahead, and when do you want our routes and details returned by? I will not be able to finish it before late tomorrow - I am not sure whether Geoff is available to prepare the routes and timings.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Flyco wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 14:04 I will not be able to finish it before late tomorrow - I am not sure whether Geoff is available to prepare the routes and timings.
Flyco,
I'll endeavour to get my miz sent to you tonight by 2300hrs. I agree with your TOT and T/O changes.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

I guys, I have not had a great deal of feedback from the other squadrons. I can certainly adjust your TOT for the convoys/bridges no problem, probably for the best tbh, and yes I would still like you to do the SEAD part of your mission if possible. It was added in the Frag I believe.

1F have a tricky SEAD at the begining of the mission where any blue ac entering over the frontline (marked with x's) will activate the GCI and SA10 on Sukhumi and potentially end in tears for them. Ideally they need to go in first from the FARP, with CAP back up from 3F taking off from Kobuleti, to remove the SA6 and SA10 at Sukhumi. Once those SAM's are down a runway denial at Gudauta should help matters no end.

The GCI fighters are now all cold start, so even if we trigger the response they will take several minutes to get airborne.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Father Cool, I suggest that a delay of 10 mins on both TOTs would help a lot.

Geoff, if you want to put your mission in - please go ahead, I would find it difficult to get mine in before tomorrow evening. Don’t forget to include SEAD - no need to change that I think.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

In the actual mission miz you still have all of your previous waypoints as per the last mission except I have moved the ac to Kobuleti and adjusted the departure and landing WP's to suit your new base. If that still surfices then all good.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

New Frag with revised TOT's
Op Gauntlet 2 MISSION FRAG.pdf
(399.58 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Sorry, I've just seen the above posts. I've been working on 97Sqn revised miz.

Alan, here it is:-
OP Gauntlet Re-Run A-10s.miz
(85.95 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
I've changed Boar Flt 1 T/O to 0420, giving a bridge TOT of 043120hrs.
Boar Flt 2 T/O is 0421, giving a bridge TOT of 043237hrs.
Hawg Flt 1T/O is 0422.
After Boar Flt 1 destroy the road convoy, they operate from IP NE, for attacks on Senaki A/Field TGTs.
If Chihu bridge destroyed, Boar Flt 2 will operate from IP SOUTH for attacks on Senaki A/Field TGTs.
I've kept your original WPs. Just moved them to suit the new T/O airfield. Added a couple of IP's for Senaki TGTs.
SEAD is still be included. It's WP5 TGT SAM-10 for Hawg Flt

I will now read the updated FRAG, and see how it conflicts with my miz above.
ImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Father Cool,
I'm in the process of changing the 97Sqn above miz to match your revised FRAG.
Once completed, I'll post it on our 97Sqn board, and ask Paul/Alan if they agree with the revised miz.
Once agreed, I'll post my revised miz for you here, so you can add our 97Sqn flights to your master miz.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Squadron Flights”