Operation Badgers Strike - 15/02/22

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Operation Badgers Strike - 15/02/22

Post by Matt »

Funnily enough, I've not experienced this at all, in all of 1(F) Squadrons training sessions over the last month we've had working Tacan with no need to untick bearing......however there is a fault with DCS atm where Tacans stop transmitting after a while (which I've already built a failsafe for)

I use triggers to reactivate Tacan's after every 45mins, which has worked flawlessly so far and we have never had to struggle tio find a tanker without a working tacan, unless this is something else that only effects A10 and F16?

The issue i've heard of is related to A/A tacan, but all Tacan's (including tankers currently work fine if you just do not select A/A on your tacan settings.....strange i know)

See pics below taken mission start +30mins, just don't select A/A and all works as usual
Screen_220214_064133.png
Screen_220214_064133.png (8.14 MiB) Viewed 1130 times
Screen_220214_064126.png
Screen_220214_064126.png (8.11 MiB) Viewed 1130 times
And an airborne screen
Screen_220214_064543.png
Screen_220214_064543.png (8.78 MiB) Viewed 1129 times
Its a very strange bug, but all's fine as long as you do not select A/A mode on the tacan
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

41Sqn AAR for Badger's Butski

All went according to plan, both objectives destroyed, although the SA-15 didn't appear to turn on.

We lost one to stingers and myself to a DCS crash on the way home, so good all round. Our thanks to the CAP boys, we weren't bothered by any redair at all, good job.

Thanks Matt for putting it together.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

60 Sqn Badgers Strike, Red 2.

We were assigned CASEVAC and I flew number 2.

We were looking forward to a realistic mission and were given it in spades. The first command was Hurry up and wait. :lol:
As we were not needed for 40 mins we decided to have a recce of the southern hills, flying up valleys to the South West we worked our way up on to a hill so we could watch Boar flight head in with their first attacks and the tank attack go in. It was very atmospheric and we enjoyed the snow covered views.

We heard the A-10's coming, the radio calls on 30 FM all added to the general scene, we saw a SAM launch and an A-10 take a hit, but it was all too quick to call out.

We headed back down the hill to the East keeping at below tree top height where we could and headed to our staging point.
Panzer 1 the ground commander called us up for some CASEVAC and we headed to our prearranged HLS at 5 ft and 30 knots. We were met by a challenger who dropped off casualties which we then ferried back to the aid post. We were called forward one more time for a CASEVAC collection, on our way in we were alerted to a pair of enemy Hind helicopters working in the area, we proceeded with caution and got to the HLS, we could see the Hind's in the distance and we tried to keep trees between us and them. We met the CASEVAC, picked up the injured and went back.

I enjoyed the mission, listening to the comms of the A-10's and Harriers interacting with the ground forces, watching the vapour trails and planes overhead, seeing the tanks advance, all added to a very enjoyable evening. Thanks Matt and everyone that took part. I think these missions are like watching a film, apart from you're in it.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

We had a good mission in the air wing. One request would be more opposition for us perhaps? I also think we could do with the tanker repositioning so we don't have a hundred miles between us.

Thanks for the mission Matt.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Duke

Post by Duke »

To add to Neil's AAR,

Our Sortie was 100% successful, Boos and Neil went in as Sead for Guadauta to destroy the potential SA6 and anything else in the area with Evensis on runway denial with GBU38s.

Gave Boos and Neil a TOT for our IP to launch Harms at 04:43z and BOOS hit/Released Harms at IP 4 seconds early so awesome job, Evensis hit runway 1:30 later so again awesome job.

Myself and our 2 newest members Rossi and Ditch went up as a three ship almost for in mission training to hit secondary targets in taxi area and fuel dump of Guadauta. Again no real issues given it was there first time dropping guided weapons let alone dual racked GBU's which can be a pain.

Ditch took a little aaa damage as strayed abit to low on one pass so we called it off and headed back to the boat.

Called priority landing for Ditch as he had damage and he landed safely, followed by myself then Rossi.

Boos, Neil and Evensis arrived back just after, all safely landed and shut down, except for a dcs game crash by the boat for Evensis.

Thanks for the mission Matt, was actually ideal for myself Ditch and Rossi as fairly chilled for a first mission for the newer guys👍👍

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

A good mission, I thought, with Matt doing an excellent job as master of ceremonies. I missed the middle 10 minutes, when I had to go home to get a new aircraft (never fly unnecessarily low in the target area!!). The cloud was excellent, making the A-10 task more demanding, but very enjoyable.

I was a little concerned watching the Tacview, to see an a pair of Aim-120s passing my wing, but I will assume they were aimed at the helicopters below me (which they also missed). However, worth reminding of potential blue-on-blue danger.

There was also a bit of a melee at Vaziani. Under such busy circumstances, without any proper ATC, it is worth passing your position and intentions and making standard calls in the appropriate place. And giving way to damaged ac returning to base.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Grillman

Post by Grillman »

Thanks Matt for a nice mission and for all your help and support on what was my first attempt in Squadron level planning.

We were particularly impressed by how well the departure sequencing worked out of Vaziani. Correct order and couldn't have been more punctual. It was accurate to the ...second. Thanks to everyone involved.

3(F) provided CAP to the north with eventually 4 jets (we had one member unable to turn up last minute). We split into two elements east and west. The east element defended successfully all departures from Beslan (F-5s and transports), with Sapper splashing 2 x F-5s and 2 x C-101s. Spyker splashed 1 x F-5. The other element was flying the west end of the CAP, anticipating scramble from Nalchik, which never happened. As a result, we ended up flying orbits for 1 hour and 5 minutes, like BA Airbus on a foggy Friday evening into Heathrow, just managing our fuel state.

Towards the end of the mission, with all but a few A-10s and AV-8s operating, we had two Hinds take off in the area. We tried to protect the strike and raise our heartbeats a bit so we took turns at taking them down. We did try to call the strike jets but we had only one reply and called "clear the area" twice. I am sorry if we scared you!

The Hinds were damaged by numerous missile launches but wouldn't go down. I got seriously fed up and switched to guns with one of them, only to get a bullet in the head by the other Hind, offering necessary amusement to my wingmen. The Hinds were eventually shot down by Sapper.

The only mission error was that our tanker was removed somehow from the final version of the mission. I failed to spot it as I checked, since I saw two tankers in Soganlug and I assumed all was well. Alas, Shell 1 was not really there and it was replaced by an Arco 1, parked in a different spot which I would have noticed had I zoomed in all the way down.

Thanks again Matt
Flight Lieutenant Dimitris "Grillman" Christoulakis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Alien

Post by Alien »

AAR for CAW 11F
Our mission was to provide CAP for CAW892 to facilitate a clean airspace in which they could approach their Target ( Guadata ) unimpeded by Redair, to that affect 11F set two CAP locations either side of the Tgt area. CAP One being North West of the Tgt and feet wet, UZI 1 single a/c but later joined by a second a/c ( Reaper ) who took up wingman position, shortly after leaving the Carrier we had a single F5 on the RWR which was an AWACS contact, my RIO could not get a lock on the Tgt and as it was not intentionally targeting our a/c we decided to proceed to our CAP location, we did however notify UZI 2 & 3 that a hostile a/c could possibly enter their AO.
UZI 1 eventually did make contact with 2 F5's and managed to take one down. One thing worth mentioning was the behaviour of our PH54 at low level, my first 54 only had 20miles to travel but being below 12,000ft it didn't actually make the Tgt who wasn't in a rush to get anywhere, my second missile also flew off into the Ulu, my third missile did make contact, so one hostile accredited to UZI 1, thereafter the airspace northwest of Guadata remained clean and having a visual on the F18's of 892 returning to the Teddy we proceeded to RTB.

UZI 2 & 3's AO was Southeast of Sukhumi, they had a little more work to do in that they also encountered Mig29's with F5's. 4 Redair were taken down 2 x F5's & 2 x Mig29's. shortly after the last Mig was taken down courtesy of UZI 3 ( Scooby ) Knock it off was given and RTB to the Teddy.

Nice little mission for us , thoroughly enjoyed it. enemy air supressed, no leakers. mission accomplished

Well done Matt.
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Return to “Squadron Flights”