Operation Byron 24th May

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Operation Byron 24th May

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Andrew, I noticed there is an SA15 in my area. I am assuming he is my responsibility
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Yes please, no one else has been tasked with this.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

sorry, i was fast asleep
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I'm sure you felt better for that John.

For those that did make it, thanks for turning up. I was very relieved to see the red forces also roll out of bed this time!

For anyone that would like it I have attached the server Tacview. (Just add .acmi to the file name to open)
Attachments
Tacview-20220524-190919-DCS-T99-24th-20-ByronFINAL.zip
(17.27 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

97Sqn De-Brief – Op Byron Final

Just 2 pilots for this sortie. Richard, as lead, and myself, as No2. I arrived late to the party, after spending a month in Lincolnshire. I’d kept up to date with the forum, but only had 2 hours looking at the miz. We had lots of targets hiding in the trees. All were protected by manpads, and an SA-15, for good measure. Andrew confirmed to Richard on the forum, that 97Sqn would have to deal with the Tor. Lead had a plan.

Richard and I were the only pilots on TS at 1910hrs. Richard explained he would climb above 22000ft, and pickle a GBU on the 15, whilst adjusting his attack heading for a gap in the clouds. I would attack the targets with a mav, keeping well away from the Tor.

Danny joined TS and offered to take down the SA-15. Richard at 22000ft was now plan “B”.

Our departure was SOP. Take off being delayed, giving Danny enough time to destroy the Tor, before we arrived.

We climbed to 13500ft, to avoid all the manpads. En-route to our IP, Richard called Overlord, and advised him of 2*Mig29s in our 7o’clock, outside lethal range. The F-16s were quickly on the case, with Merman destroying both. Thanks Merman.

Close to our IP, Richard noticed that Danny had disappeared. Was it a DCS issue? TacView showed he wasn’t destroyed by enemy fire. Richard started a climb to 22000ft, for the SA-15. No worries, Danny was quickly back on-line, heading for the Tor. We switched back to plan “A”.

I’d destroyed a tank, and retreated, as Danny took down the Tor. We could now loiter over the target area at 12000ft, avoiding the manpads. 97Sqn went to work on the tanks, and APC’s.

I actually spent more time searching for targets, than dropping bombs. Trees were a challenge. I did have 4*APCs in a clearing and hit them with my only cluster. Annoyingly, I only killed one. In total, I destroyed 7 targets.

Richard ended up using his laser rockets’ and destroyed a T72 with a salvo of 6. Later he was hit by several IGLAs. Severely damaged he diverted to what looked like a disused airfield. Richard kept me company, jumping in as game master.

I landed back at Vaziani, with a flight time of 1hr55mins. After being absent for a month, the mission was a very enjoyable “check ride”.

Andrew. Thanks for putting the re-run together. I missed the first course. From my perspective, your server was rock solid. No buffering at all. CAP was excellent. Glad the Reds turned up this time. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by 309 Geoff on 25 May 2022, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Great report Geoff, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Good to see that 97 and 3f were working together so well.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Oscar Victor 11

Post by Oscar Victor 11 »

41 F.............

Our target comprised of 6 tracked artillery vehicles, situated 8 miles NNE of Batumi. The guns were stationary and protected by two Zu 23/2's and 4 SA 18 man pads, and as such, were not particularly well defended. A slight complication was that the tracked artillery units moved very quickly away from the area when attacked, which rendered their location Lat and Long co-ordinates to be inaccurate within 5 - 8 seconds of the first attacking weapon being delivered. Clearly all 6 vehicles needed to be attacked at precisely the same time and 4 aircraft in line abreast formation each releasing 4 GBU's in quick succession seemed a good plan.

Having managed to sort out our minor taxiing issues ( read the map/read the brief first usually works) we took off with Mark and Mike comprising the sweep element with myself, Simon, Yoge and Andrew following as the ground attackers. Our TOT was 06.30hrs local and we eventually headed off on time.

As we began to ingress our target area and move from our usual 2 pairs in trail to line abreast, Red Air decided to engage and trigger our 'sweep' plan quickly downing Mike in the short melee. Having broke thru our sweep line the single remaining Red air bandit was then amongst our ground attacking group who were still yet trying to form into 'line abreast'. Fortunately amongst our number was Yoge, known throughout 41 as the 'eagle eyed A2A monster' who quickly disposed of the opposition in typical fashion. Unfortunately, the 'line abreast x 16 simultaneous GBU's' plan was compromised somewhat and our approach was now slightly un co-ordinated which resulted in a piece meal weapon release. We did manage however to kill 4 and a half tracked guns, but lost myself and Simon to the Man pad's. Our RTB plan was initiated whereupon Red Air again decided to spoil the day and intercept the remaining 3 x 41F. However, thanks to sterling work by Andrew and Yoge, (again), the return flight eventually made it back to Vaziani.

With regards to my mission planning, Mike Tyson had it about right, " The best plans in the world don't survive a good smack in the mouth. "

On a more serious note, a big thanks to Andrew for the greater plan, they do take a lot of time and effort.

Bob.

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

I want to formally apologise for 11fs no show (cant remember the last time that happened!) and our recent lack of activity. real life has caught up with all 4 of us for various reasons. hopefully we will more active in the near future. Personally im doing ridiculous hours at work atm but il be changing job in july (redundancy) and it should settle down to something more normal then
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”