Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

309 Geoff

Re: Operation Salamander 7th June

Post by 309 Geoff »

97Sqn – Op Salamander De-Brief
A really short de-brief would be a successful mission from 97Sqn’s perspective. All target air defences destroyed quickly, allowing 60Sqn access, for their troop deployment.

Matt deserves a more detailed analysis, to repay the time and effort he put into creating this mission. So, here’s my blow-by-blow account of the 97Sqn flight. Quit now, if you don’t like a long read.

Paul asked me to lead the mission. I developed our tactics, built the flight plan, and published the mission brief, all in good time. For good measure I sent Matt three versions of our miz. I kept making improvements. Or maybe rectifying my mistakes. Matt received the files inside his cut-off window of Friday, close of business.

Kutaisi taxi was going to be 0404Z, with a take-off at 0409Z. Our TOT was 0445Z. We also had F18’s at Kutaisi. Andrew asked on the forum about 97Sqn timing conflicts. He planned to taxi at 0409Z. I replied saying no conflict.

On TeamSpeak, 97Sqn chatted with Colt and Chevy about comm frequencies and possible conflicts. I don’t think there was a mission planners’ meeting to drill down on the finer details of group operations. Maybe we needed one.

Initially we had four pilots. Luis then had to pull out, due to real life workload. Flyco was having real challenges with his new PC, and windows 11. However, with an hour to go, he joined the line-up, knowing it was going to be a challenge. He wasn’t wrong. Our count was back to four.

We had two flights of two. The plan was cruise in battle formation, just below the cloud base, to a split point. We would then separate and go to different IPs and destroy the four known SAM and ZSU installations. After a quick airfield inspection for other air defences, I would call in Chevy for their troop deployment. We had already discussed on TS that APCs and BMPs would still be around. We planned to pick them off later. In our brief, it was mentioned that we may hold at our IPs for further tasking from Chevy, or Colt. Recovery would be join circuit downwind, in trail, for a normal landing on r/w 25. See what happened later with the landing.

We all joined the server in good time. Start-up was not SOP. Flyco was having issues with SRS, so he would be using TS exclusively. With my RWR clear, Paul called a JF, outside lethal range. My heart skipped a beat. I wasn’t expecting REDAIR this early. Strange, Tacview showed them over 100nm away.

Take off happened on time. Climb out was SOP, and we moved into “battle” formation just below cloud. Flyco, my No2, moved into “battle”, on my right. He took up a position I’m used to in real life. Paul and Richard took up a “battle” position I’m unfamiliar with. I didn’t say anything at the time. I’ll check my understanding with Paul later.

Reaching our split waypoint, occasionally going IMC for a few seconds, we separated for our own IPs. Flyco announced he would not be able to release any weapons due to continuing issues. My initial thought was that might delay us calling in the troop deployment.

97Sqn set to work on our designated targets. I destroyed the first SAM-19, 25secs early. Paul took down his SAM, 10secs ahead of schedule. Only the two known ZSUs remained. They didn’t last long. Looking at TacView, it appeared that my ZSU had been destroyed by a missile attack from a ship strike. I wasted a Mav D. We then all inspected the airfield for other air defences. None were identified. I called Wizard, and Chevy, to inform them that all air defences had been destroyed, and troop deployment could commence, at their own risk. Chevy were advised that BTRs and APCs remained, and 97 would be picking them off during the troop deployment.

I must apologise to Chevy. Two active BMPs remained when the choppers arrived. A BMP I should have knocked out, opened fire with a MALUTKA, which took out Wee Neil’s Huey. Neil in an AH-64D returned fire but was taken down by guns. I took out the offending BMP with a Mav D.

Flyco, who had been staying on my wing, requested to attack the remaining targets, and see if he could rifle off unguided laser rockets. He didn’t release any rockets but came under fire himself. That was it. He asked if he could RTB. Permission granted.

We were in contact with Colt. It appeared they didn't want any help against the targets on the beach.

Whilst orbiting, two Mig29s, outside lethal range appeared on the RWR. I called Wizard, gave our position from bull, and asked for help. Uzi responded and were on the case. Thankyou.

Richard asked permission to drop a cluster on some troops and helicopters. We discussed prevailing wind, and the no go area of nuclear bombers. He accepted the green light and commenced his attack run. It was a peach.

I now put my life in my hands and discuss the scores on the doors. Richard was top dog with 16. I claimed 9, with Paul getting a bronze medal for 6. Richards’ cluster did the trick. If it had missed, Paul was ready to pounce, and get the gold.

It looked like the target airfield was clear, so we decided to RTB. I called Wizard with the update. We transited back in arrow formation. At 30nm from Kutaisi, Wizard was told that Hawg were going en-route. Switching to 263, we heard Flyco ask for a steer. He landed safely.

My plan was for us to go into trail as we joined downwind. About 10nm out, Richard suggested a 3-ship landing. A first for me. No worries, if the Red Arrows can do it, so can we. So now, I must apologies to my wingmen for my two mistakes. Firstly, I was too close to the runway on the downwind leg, and then I passed through the centreline on finals. We all landed safely, but not like the arrows. I look forward to trying that out again.

Thankyou Matt, for all your output. 97Sqn enjoyed ourselves. I look forward to you retiring and spending all your time creating missions.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Operation Salamander 7th June

Post by Matt »

Geoff,

Thank you for the kind words mate, I really appreciate it!

And no doubt Ellie and Jaxon will be happy once i finally retire too, but maybe not for my DCS "skills" :lol:

Thanks again mate!
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Squadron Flights”