21st June

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Matt
Site Admin

Re: 21st June

Post by Matt »

Hi all, apologies for 1(F)'s absence, i have been on exercise with work so booked a joint training session with 41(f) before i saw this post.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

It's an interesting mission.
About 40nm to the target I took the bait, jettisoned my weapons and prepared to battle the red air over the target area. After struggling to get a lock I realised these were slow Yaks. So I aborted. On my egress out I was down to 5500ilbs well beyond Joker and I decided to hit the tanker.
Then there was a call from 97sqn that they were being painted my mig29's, 3f had no capacity to help so I turned around to give 97 some cover. The 29's were some distance away, however the Yak's were back and I decided to take my revenge. I fired an Amram and hit the yak and followed it up with a sidewinder at close range another hit seen. The yak seemed to be indestructible! Now very low on fuel I headed to the Tanker where I took on enough gas to get me back to the carrier.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

97Sqn Debrief – Op Deep Strike – 21st June 22.

Apologies for the delay. Better late, than never.

Paul asked me to plan and lead this mission. I agreed. As it was a re-run, I made only a few changes to our original miz. Additional waypoints were added along the river. I also changed the strategy for our attack run. Now we would all drop a stick of MK82air’s, go to one of two new IPs, and re-attack with a salvo of unguided rockets. I planned for the new IPs to help with aircraft separation. How does the saying go? “Best laid plans of…..”

Take off was planned for 0208Z, with a rendezvous at 0240Z. Climbing into the pit, the clock was an hour later than expected. RV TOT changed to 0340Z. I was happy. Now we were back taxying at Hatay in the daylight.

Start up, taxi, and T/O was SOP. Flyco made Pontiac into a four ship. However, continuing issues meant he watched us take off and travel en-route to the RV. In the end he had to “eject,” as his systems deteriorated.

Our planned RV TOT was on schedule. Inter squadron comms on 251 was excellent. All the F16s, and Andrew in a solo F18 were early arriving at the RV. To reduce their orbit time, I called Overlord to say 97Sqn were cancelling their TOT, and accelerating. Danny, acting as Overlord for the RV, replied saying we could stick to planned TOT. We kept accelerating. I was thinking that arriving early might help us A-10s’ and Overlord, against any RED air later.

We arrived at RV approx. 2mins early. Andrew left the orbit first, followed by the F16s. I called “Zulu”, as we departed last. Overlord acknowledged.

Descent and low level were enjoyable. I flew at 350ft on the rad alt, for most of the low level. Luis, No2, and Paul, No3, maintained visual contact with the aircraft ahead. As we approached the first IP, I asked Paul to increase spacing on Luis. In the brief, I should have asked Flt 2, that’s Paul, to trail No2 by 4nm. The spacing was important for separation during the rockets attack.

About 3nm from my bomb release, Luis called he was being painted. I could see Mig29s and an F16 on my RWR. They were outside lethal range, so we continued to target. I pickled my stick of 12 Mk82s, and as I turned left to my new IP, Luis dropped his bombs. Paul quickly followed, and turned right to his new IP. Separation went to plan for the bombs. Now it had to work for rockets.

Setting up for rockets, I called Overlord, and requested help against the MIG29s. They were getting closer. No F16 on the RWR now. Danny replied saying the F16s couldn’t help. Andrew came to the rescue. I was hoping the 2mins I saved in the orbit, would now save me from a Mig29.

The separation for the second attack didn’t go to plan. I rifled 42 to good effect. Paul opened fire second. He should have been third. Luis was the last to fire his 42, complaining I hadn’t left him many targets. Paul had good visual on Luis, so no mid-air collisions.

We transited back along the river, with Luis and Paul in arrow formation. We reached a WP where we had to decide about tanking. No tanking needed, as we were all comfortably above Bingo.

We climbed out and transited back to base at 3000ft on the QNH. Luis and Paul moved their formation closer, which resulted in some excellent screenies. Let’s not forget, their close formation on me, was totally due to my accurate flying. The A-10 autopilot works very well.

Approaching Hatay, we descended to 1000ft on the QFE, and 97 moved to close echelon right, for a run and brake landing.

Again, I was happy with the formation. Run and brake worked well. We all landed, and taxied back to parking. Several pieces of “FOD” in the parking area, including a palouste, were carefully avoided.

To summarise, a very enjoyable flight. My plan appeared fine, forgetting the spacing setup for the second attack. Inter squadron comms worked well, from my perspective. Effective bombs and rocket damage. Impressive formation flying from my No2 &3.
Thankyou Andrew for re-running the mission, and helping with the RED air.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Luis

Post by Luis »

Geoff, I didn't like be your nr 2, you didn't left almost any targets to my joy ... Joking :D.
It was a real great flight, I enjoyed a lot.
And yes, your APP is awesome.
Thanks for the debrief.
Pilot Officer Luis - RAF Air UK
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Luis,

I think we all enjoyed the mission. It took some time creating the two videos. It seemed worth it. The formations you and Paul maintained were impressive. No wonder you both find tanking easy. I very rarely get time to try formation flying. I seem to be at the front on autopilot.

The echelon right before the run and brake looked good. We just need to control our height better during our initial turn downwind.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Return to “Squadron Flights”