8th Nov Operation SEAD and DEAD

Details Of Online Flight Nights
0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 8th Nov Operation SEAD and DEAD

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Here is the updated FRAG, there has been a slight amendment on Take off times. Please check.

At Ramat David the take off order will be:
3f
41F SEAD
97 Sqn
41F Bomber
Attachments
V1 SEAD and DEAD RAFAIR-FRAG.pdf
(562.18 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
V1 SEAD and DEAD RAFAIR-FRAG.ods
(2.41 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Duke

Post by Duke »

664 Hawk 3 CPG Duke AAR;

Thank you for putting the mission together Andrew, from my perspective I flew with Falcon as my pilot in 664sqn as Hawk 3, no issues with server or srs, got enroute to our AO and all happy engaging infantry with the 30mm, unfortunately got a bit close to some Armor we didn't spot till it was to late which took out one of our engines forcing a (very well executed by Falcon) hard landing in the Syrian mountains, both survived but am now writing this debrief as a POW in a Syrian prison.......... Tell my missus she can't have my car!

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

After Action Report 41Sqn

Overall, we aborted short of the target area due to the SA-15 SAM system still being up, the SA-6 was down but the SEAD guys had a job on to catch the SA-15 out and were low on fuel and Winchester. Therefore the Rolex 5 became an abort. We dumped our munitions in enemy territory and returned home.

Landing was briefed as SHORAD - less than 250kts at 1000ft in pairs for straight in approach from 5Nm out, which we did. However, we were treated to a fireworks display ahead of us on finals as the SHORAD guns hosed the living daylights out of the aircraft around the circuit!! One went down on the threshold of 33 forcing us to pairs land on the parallel taxyway! Tight, but everyone managed it - good airmanship chaps!!

We had issues with lag and comms throughout, which made managing a large formation difficult (unheard calls etc). The general feeling is that the Syria map is not really the place to run large numbers in an operation, the bandwidth can't cope. We were down to 6fps at times on the airfield and lost one completely through connection lag.

Operationally so-so, socially a good chuckle. Thanks Andrew, as always and we look forward to the next one.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Cheers Duke and Ade,

The Shorad was only set up for 41f and I need to check, I don't believe it fired, I've a feeling the Shorad was a lamppost. (it did fire, that trigger is a work in progress, however I don't believe they hit anything and the lamppost still get the kill!)

I'm very interested to hear from all squadrons regarding the Sam setup and to see if this is something worth developing. Agree that the FPS was a little low at taxy.

One other point, with the shortened briefing, do you think we can get into the server 10 mins earlier? Opinions please.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

97 Sqn, AAR

Server and mission seemed to operate normally. we didn't get many targets due to Sa-6 giving us a hard time, we orbited for 20 minutes before deciding to try and press our attack, although the SA-6 remained. 1 Tunguska(SA-19) destroyed, a shared kill for myself & Richard, I managed to get 4 trucks in the truck park with rockets, but SA-6 started giving me some attention. decoyed his missiles. Decided we had pushed our luck. so reformed flight and RTB'd and all landed safely with no damage to our aircraft.

I never noticed any frame rate drop at any time. On the whole, an enjoyable mission(Thanks Andrew), marred by the fact we couldn't get close to our targets due to the SA-6.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Cheers Paul, I'm glad you were able to nibble at the sides at least.

In future, with the new SAM triggers, while were still getting to grips with it I'll make the targets less dependant on a SAM destruction.

Did you not have bad frame rates at Ramat David?
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Never noticed any FPS drop at all(New system, bells and whistles), don't know about Richard or Alan, they never reported anything.

The only problem we had was on the ramp, with engines running, we kept creeping forward, had to keep one foot on the wheel brakes to stop it. I've only encountered that in that particular parking position at Ramat David before. I don't think the ramp is sloped at all.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi Andrew, we had a small period (10s) period of lag, at about 0520hrs ish, apart from that nothing of note.

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Pretty much as Paul reported. The SAM-6 was a major problem. We orbited for a good 20 minutes waiting for the call, before nibbling at it with little success. I didn’t get a single shot off.

The ‘sloping’ pan really is a problem, particularly since the A-10, doesn’t have a parking brake, and my emergency brake was not effective. I suggest we use chocks in any future missions there - it should be possible to install them in the mission build.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Thanks Alan,

Here's a report from Shane which was posted on discord.

CAW After Action Report : Op SEAD / DEAD

892 NAS aboard the CVN Theodore Roosevelt were tasked with providing a Barrier CAP North of Damascus and a Ground Strike on SAYQAL Airbase 38miles NE of Damascus.
892 NAS provided a two ship F18 flight c/s Enfield 3 to provide CAP, having set their routine it became apparent that there was no threat incoming from the north in the form of Redair.
C/s 3-2 had technical difficulties and returned to the Roosevelt, c/s 3-1 remained until the planned RV over Beirut was called by Enfield 1-1
The Ground Strike task was two fold involving C/S’s Enfield 1 & Enfield 2 x two F18’s per section.
Enfield 2 were to take the lead into the AO and destroy the SAM threat with HARM in and around SAYQAL Airbase. Intel provided before the strike confirmed the SAM threat as SA6 & SA 15, however the SAM’s remained silent.
In an attempt to bait the SAMS to light themselves up Enfield went low , whilst concentrating on their secondary task of destroying MIG 31’s parked on the apron the SA6 decided to go live, at this time both aircraft were within the SA6 bubble, both aircraft went defensive and evaded missiles launched but the outcome was inevitable and both aircraft were shot down, both pilots ejected and are now enjoying Falafel breakfast courtesy of the SAA.
Enfield 1 were tasked with a JDAM strike on the Ammunition Bunkers at SAYQAL, the flight followed Enfield 2 into the AO and on to their IP 12 miles north of the airbase, ordnance was pickled at 25,000ft minus 5miles from TGT, Bunkers were destroyed.
On the Egress the flight was aware of an SA6 that was targeting both Enfield flights, Enfield 1 continued to the RV ( Beirut ) where they anchored until the arrival of Enfield 3-1 and proceeded to recover on the Roosevelt.
There was no TACAN signal from the Roosevelt so a request for Azimuth was sent and received and the 3 ship flight was able to get eyes on and make 3 good recoveries.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”