Wag's Video on using Laser Guided Rockets(APKWS)for A10-C II

Anything pilot related can be discussed here
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Wag's Video on using Laser Guided Rockets(APKWS)for A10-C II

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Here's the link if you haven't already watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spLvR97LlNA

Enjoy.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Wag's Video on using Laser Guided Rockets(APKWS)for A10-C II

Post by Flyco »

Excellent addition. Gives the ability to knock out dozens of sot or semi-armoured vehicles with a single A-10.

I suggest it might be a good idea to look at setting up a 2- or 4-ship racecourse, between 7 and 3. With separate codes, we could knock out better than 1 vehicle per minute without ever getting within gun range. Not quite as satisfying as hitting them with the Burp Gun, but safer and more effective.

I trust that everyone has pre-ordered, at only £10.99 for an update to our current A-10, it is a steal.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

They will also be good for knocking out manpads.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

It's finding the manpads that is the problem!
Image Image Image Image

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

F14's could reach the AO first, identify the ground targets and buddy lase for you ; )
Captain Simon "SHAGGY" Jones
RAF AIR UK - 664 Sqn 2ND IC and Instructor
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

the laser rockets on the jf17 can easily take out anything apart from a full armoured vehicle but anything under a btr is easy pickings, however, they aren't as accurate as you'd like and they have a very very long flight time. they are going to be much more effective on the f16.
'paddles contact'

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I couldn't agree that these rockets are going to be more effective on the F-16 than on the A-10. They allow the A-10 to launch at 5 nm, and continue at 200-220 kias for a further 2 nm before starting a gentle turn away. Impact will occur as the A-10 is around 45 degrees from the line of run-in and still around 2-3 nm range, outside the effective range of cannon and machine-gun fire, including the ZSU. At around 200-400 ft agl, they will also make a very tricky target for a short range SAM (manpad, Osa, Tunguska etc).

If I promise never try to insist on being allowed to provide CAP, for the F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18 etc, will fast-jet pilots insist on being mis-used to carry out low-level, impromptu, CAS, when the A-10C is available with twice the number of weapons and three times to low level endurance? It sounds a bit like 'willy-waving' to me. And this is without asking why if the F-16 is so effective it is never available to fly missions with the rest of the 'big-boys'. (Cheap shot I know, but I am cheap, as is the A-10 compared to the F-16).

When we get them, I will set up some suitable targets in a valley, under a 2000 ft cloud-base, load an A-10 with 84 rockets (I will leave the other pylons unoccupied) and we will see how an F-?? fares in comparison.
Image Image Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Flyco wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 09:33 I couldn't agree that these rockets are going to be more effective on the F-16 than on the A-10. They allow the A-10 to launch at 5 nm, and continue at 200-220 kias for a further 2 nm before starting a gentle turn away. Impact will occur as the A-10 is around 45 degrees from the line of run-in and still around 2-3 nm range, outside the effective range of cannon and machine-gun fire, including the ZSU. At around 200-400 ft agl, they will also make a very tricky target for a short range SAM (manpad, Osa, Tunguska etc).

If I promise never try to insist on being allowed to provide CAP, for the F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18 etc, will fast-jet pilots insist on being mis-used to carry out low-level, impromptu, CAS, when the A-10C is available with twice the number of weapons and three times to low level endurance? It sounds a bit like 'willy-waving' to me. And this is without asking why if the F-16 is so effective it is never available to fly missions with the rest of the 'big-boys'. (Cheap shot I know, but I am cheap, as is the A-10 compared to the F-16).

When we get them, I will set up some suitable targets in a valley, under a 2000 ft cloud-base, load an A-10 with 84 rockets (I will leave the other pylons unoccupied) and we will see how an F-?? fares in comparison.
sounds like the gaunlett has been slapped in the face there ...... or a wet kipper .........them words sound like fighting talk from where i come from... lucky i moved the other day lol

Return to “General Pilot Chat”