ATC

Anything pilot related can be discussed here
Robbo

Re: ATC

Post by Robbo »

Despite my absence from the 'Tower' over the past couple of weeks I have not been idle regarding ATC development within RAF Air UK.

I have updated the ATC Phraseology document today (17/11) to include Instrument Recoveries and Approaches. This follows a period of revision on my behalf in order to get back up to speed on how to perform, for example, PAR (Precision Approach Radar) recoveries. Other, smaller, changes have been made also, so do take a look, for example, after departing the airfield pilots will be given a Traffic service (see below).
The link to the updated document is in the first post of this thread.
A Traffic Service is a surveillance based ATS, where in addition to providing weather and airfield information, the controller provides specific surveillance-derived traffic information to assist the pilot in avoiding other traffic. Controllers may provide headings and/or levels for the purposes of positioning and/or sequencing; however, the controller is not required to achieve deconfliction minima, and the pilot remains responsible for collision avoidance.
I have also decided to amend how we approach ATC frequencies when human ATC is online. Previously we maintained separate frequencies for each Airfield; however that had several disadvantages and when coupled with the extension of ATC services beyond the airfield it became clear that this would become unmanageable for ATC and confusing for pilots. Therefore we are going to use just two ATC frequencies, 257.800 MHz for normal Tower and Radar services, and 362.300 MHz for Talkdown. Putting it simply, if human ATC is online you use 257.800 MHz for all ATC communications unless ATC advises otherwise. Talkdown frequency, 362.300 MHz will be used, as required, for monitored radar approaches to separate transmission traffic as the level of ATC transmission is almost non-stop throughout the approach.

[Please let me know if any aircraft are unable to tune these frequencies]

Reducing the number of frequencies has a number of other benefits:
  • Pilots will hear many more transmissions, therefore improving the learning process and also making the ATC 'world' feel less lonely
  • Pilots will have better overall situational awareness
  • Should prevent transmissions being 'stepped on'
  • ATC will not have a multitude of PTT buttons to manage
It would be good if this single ATC frequency was used even when human ATC is offline for pilots to self-announce what they are doing so other pilots in the area are aware. This would provide the benefit of avoiding DCS ATC altogether, solidifying the use of this frequency, allow pilots to practice speaking on the radio to overcome any 'mic fright' and will make the DCS world feel less lonely. For those not already aware self-announcing is very common in the real world for civilian airfields without ATC, therefore it is not an entirely unrealistic situation.

Finally, I am hoping to be able to staff ATC several times a week from now on so if I am online then do please tune to 257.800 MHz, check in, and enjoy the service. Also, if anyone has any questions then please do get in touch, either by PM or when I'm on Teamspeak.
Plt Off Ian 'Robbo' Robson
Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

ok so let me see if i have a handle on this. So instead of remembering just to add .1 to what ever airfield freq we are at you want us to remember 2 new freq ?

Which means switching comms 3 times ? as we need to switch to our inflight coms?

you do know that the 14 only has 2 sets dont you ? and one is permatly tuned to awacs and the other is for flight comms.

or have i missed the point all together?

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Hi Mutley,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't believe it is as bad as you suggest :D

You would either be tuned to ATC or AWACS, no need for both to be tuned at the same time. When you need to be on the AWACS frequency just tell ATC, they will give you any relevant traffic info and cut you loose to tune AWACS. When you are returning, and are done with AWACS, tune ATC and make contact.

Also, you only need to know one ATC frequency as the second one would be given to you by ATC, and only then if required to avoid frequency congestion.

Does that ease your concerns?
Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

no no concerns at all i just wanted to make sure i understood what was being said is all.

Which i do now and even better than before. Besides Us 14 types rarly make it back to base with our rides, we either walk or let the SnR guys pick us up from the local bar, which reminds me Scooby is still singing see what the boys in the back room will have in his best marlean dichrit act ........he just wont give up that fancy frock you know. :D

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Don't forget Mutley that you can use pre-tuned stud channels to easily switch frequencies too. They'll always be pre-briefed, and in organized missions, pre-set freqs will be added for all aircraft, so it will make managing radios quick, easy, and all you will need to know is which stud number each facility is on - which will not change from mission to mission even if the frequencies do.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I remain very strongly convinced that the use of a single ATC frequency, for all aircraft (up to 20), at up to 4 or 5 different air- bases is a bad idea.

I really don’t want to know what every ac is doing, at every airfield, all the time.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Hi Alan,

I did consider that impact; however on an Ops night we maybe have 6 flights online, including OCU, so that is really only 6 aircraft communicating with ATC.

Also, whilst isolating the aircraft onto separate frequencies keeps the air waves quiet for the pilots, don't forget that ATC is still dealing with the entire environment, possibly with pilots speaking over each other as they are not aware others are transmitting.

As always, I'm more than happy to keep this under review and change it as required, so are you ok if we give it a try this Tue and see what people think?

I logged on last night for 1hr 40m to try out the single frequency, and whilst I made some mistakes I think it went well. If any pilots who flew last night have any feedback I'd be happy to hear it, good or bad 😁
Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Well I found last night very good, having human ATC really added to the immersion value. I'm happy for it to continue for the moment.

Shame my aircraft's right wing blew up and my undercarriage collapsed for no reason that I could see, as I was taxing back to the H.A.S. at the end of my flight.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Hi All,

I received some feedback on Tuesday about delivering some training on comms with ATC. Ideally I'd put something together myself and deliver this during a training session; however I'm aware that Grim Reapers have already done this type of instruction and shared it with the community. So, unashamedly, I am going to leverage the work they have done to help us, this can then be augmented by a Q&A session online along with the opportunity to practice on the server.

NOTE: RAF Air UK SOP's & OCU\Squadron Standing Orders take priority over these documents and videos where they differ.

Basic Aircraft Radio & Comms

Basic Aircraft Radio & Comms document

ATC, Take off, Landing & Airfield Circuits

ATC, Take off, Landing & Airfield Circuits document

I hope you find these informative.
Image Image

Return to “General Pilot Chat”