After Action Report

Anything pilot related can be discussed here
Dutch

After Action Report

Post by Dutch »

Is there a place for AAR? If so how and where do you guys do this? I notice we don't do debriefs often and i do think lessons can be learned and things need to be explained.
AAR for Colt flight needs some explaining to do since we saw a lot of redairforce this mission. Colt decided to hit Sochi and Maykop, we ran in with rocket attacks hoping to disable the parked plane. From our perspective we hit the targets. Also looking back at TACview and recordings we did damadge but some still managed to take off. I dont know if this is mission based or DCS, since this is rather new for me. But apoligies for all the reds that took of from our targets, we are looking into how we can counter this next time.

Shaggy

Re: After Action Report

Post by Shaggy »

Hi Dutch, I’ve made some comments from our perspective on the squadron flight group for the mission tonight.

We were not great at all and had a host of problems, so we apologise for the lack of CAP support. Those of us that stayed on went straight into training after we left to work out what went wrong.
Captain Simon "SHAGGY" Jones
RAF AIR UK - 664 Sqn 2ND IC and Instructor
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

AAR was set up in Northern Clout, but was probably only necessary for the F-18 SAEAD ac - and they don't usually survive very long - certainly they won't if they buzz me while I am on a bombing run in future. There were originally two - one drogue, one boom, but I never saw them used.

The mission went quite well from the A-10c point of view. Thanks largely to Colt, which performed manfully in hitting both Sochi and Maykop - didn't get them all but certainly gave us a reasonable time over the target - although it took me about 10 minutes and 3 runs before I finally dropped a weapon.

I try to make every flight count - so if, as in this case, some of the airfield attack was missing and the main CAP was late and short of ac, the A-10Cs suffered. To my mind it is that mutual reliance that makes multi-type missions so variable.

Certainly it was a bit frustrating that all the A-10s eventually got hammered by the Migs, but that's life. I was shot up as I finished my landing run at Gudauta, less than 1 mile from the Hawk battery. Presumably the Hawks ignored me because one of us (I mention no names but he was a Gp Capt!), took out one of the Hawks with his HARM very early on - could have been an unintended premature discharge, of course.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

@Flyco, with AAR i mean an After Action Report. I think the CAP did very well, thinks were communicated towards one another. My issue with the mission is that we saw Mig21's and Mig29's take off that we struck with rockets and guns. I never seen that happen and that shouldn't have happened either. We were surprised to see some of the Mig's still take off. Was wondering if it is a DCS thing or a setup in the mission.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have seen this too, and I have not been able to work out what separates those that die from those that live (or get resurrected). I use 'Push' to initiate them on time, or other trigger, and that works OK so they are there from mission start.

Certainly, in testing I shoot them up and then pause and take an external look at them. Some are just fuselages, without wings, nose, undercarriage etc, and yet they remain there hovering a couple of ft off the ground. Very strange.

As for those in Northern Clout, the TacView showed 2 destroyed in most of the passes, but I haven't gone through it in detail. That is why I usually use Mk-82 SE for airfield attack. However, given the number of targets you had to hit with so few ac, I cannot fault your decision to switch to rockets and guns.

In essence I suspect it is just a limitation of DCS. It does work, but not as we know it, Jim!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

I have had a mission I built ages ago where I brassed up a couple of jets, 2 lost their wings but 2 just burst into flames from the ass end and still taxiied and took off. Damaged but just about able to fly, they had a go. We all know that DCS AI cheat lol
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Maybe the bogies need to be told in the push trigger to not start if damaged rather than destroyed. That way the enemy isn't throwing aircaft up thats on fire.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Return to “General Pilot Chat”