UK Carrier Strike Group (vUKCSG) Discussion

Anything pilot related can be discussed here
Chris

UK Carrier Strike Group (vUKCSG) Discussion

Post by Chris »

The UK Carrier Strike Group (UKCSG) is a carrier battle group of the Royal Navy. It has existed in various forms since the mid-2000s. Between 2006 and 2011, the formation centred around the Royal Navy's Invincible-class aircraft carriers and in February 2015 ahead of the entry into service of the new Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers, HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08) and HMS Prince of Wales (R09). The aim of the CSG is to facilitate carrier-enabled power projection.

A US carrier strike group (CSG) is a type of carrier battle group of the United States Navy. It is an operational formation composed of roughly 7,500 personnel, usually an aircraft carrier, at least one cruiser, a destroyer squadron of at least two destroyers or frigates, and a carrier air wing of 65 to 70 aircraft. A carrier strike group also, on occasion, includes submarines, attached logistics ships and a supply ship.
11(F) and 892NAS predominantly operate from carriers. The pilot base has experienced F14, F18 as well as Mi-17 and UH1H Gunship vPilots. Quite a few are current in 2, 3 or more airframes. Both train together whenever possible and it is a logical progression to integrate operations of both aircraft thereby enhancing operational capabilities in many scenarios.

If these two squadrons became base components of a vUKCSG (under the auspices of RAFAir UK) this may well create synergies with mutual benefits that unlock new potential for both Squadrons in Training, Operations and carrier procedures & logistics.

As in RL, elements of Utility and Attack rotary airframes could be catered for with DCS Mi8 and UH64 which along with the mainstay F14A/B & F18C provide ‘The right tools for the job’ in so many scenarios.

General views?
2.PNG
2.PNG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1581 times
1.PNG
1.PNG (593.05 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Kind Regards
Chris :)

john (scooby)

Re: UK Carrier Strike Group (vUKCSG) Discussion

Post by john (scooby) »

is there a qe mod?
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Alien

Post by Alien »

qe ?
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Boos

Post by Boos »

I like the thought of being part of a carrier group. I don't like the way DCS implement spawns on aircraft carrier but we can always adjust to what is needed for smooth operations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtvZK6X ... andafilms

Alien, I think he means Queen Elizabeth.
Daniel callsign: 'Boos' - RAF Air UK

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Alien wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 13:20qe ?
queen elizabeth, our new carrier
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I can see the point of squadrons training together if they are inclined.
If someone has the inclination to organise that, good on them.

I'm unsure what the rest means?

60 Squadron are transitioning to the Apache. We are planning on training to fly from a carrier.

Tuesday missions can be written to help with tasking for a carrier group, ideas and guidance for missions to this end would be helpful.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Duke

Post by Duke »

john (scooby) wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 15:21
Alien wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 13:20qe ?
queen elizabeth, our new carrier
The only QE mod I've seen didn't have catapults and wires so couldn't support the F18 or F14 just Harriers and helos unless that's what you meant

Chris

Post by Chris »

0405 Andrew wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 15:52 I'm unsure what the rest means?
It is what is says Andrew, I thought it was clear but maybe not, I kept it relatively short for clarity. :)

A CSG has elements of Heavy Lift and Attack as well as utility. 60 SQN decided to not fly gunships and stick with the Huey in formation utility roles and now the SQN have stated they are transitioning to the Apache. Great stuff! All for it. Generally the SQN only operates on a Monday. Some who for various reasons do not fly with 60 SQN are multi skilled in the Mi-i8 / Mi-17, UH1H gunships / SA342 and quite often fly at other times. Many have expressed an interest to learn the Apache too.

To me it is logic to facilitate pilots who have a main carrier bent and are skilled in other airframes that are pertinent to a CSG, fly in scenarios, training or otherwise - and should be no issue if those helos are vBadged or labelled as part of the CSG.

There are no politics here or hidden agendas. No 1 Rotary Training School will be facilitating AH64 development in the same style as delivered for the UH1H for anyone interested... that's about it....
Kind Regards

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Chris, I understand that there is no politics. No axes here. My post wasn't primarily heli related. Genuine questions, discussion as asked for.

Just wondering other than training what else does it entail? I assume that there will be training missions and group missions.

Air forces have heavy lift, logistics etc but we don't use them now from what I can see as the interest isn't there.

Is the aim to recruit from outside to fill roles or as you say fill in from the existing? 892 are working up nicely so is this a thing for the future where we step back from the main airframe and train with something else? And would this water down 892 and 11f?
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Chris

Post by Chris »

• 892 & 11 would remain the same with the same airframe, identities and command... unless a SQN wants to change the badge etc...
  • Aligned (common) carrier procedures & communications.
  • Aligned training syllabus where appropriate
  • Aligned IP skillsets
  • Common dual training airframe (T45) once IP's current
  • Joint procedural carrier training (live RT and correct channels)
  • Joint operational tactical training developing and recognising strengths of each airframe. "the right tool for the job"
  • Individual pilot skillset crossover. 3 that I know of are already active in both F14b & F18C and a few in the Harrier as well - again the possibility of fielding the the 'right tool for the job' is there... same for helos.
  • By being aligned to a common identity (CSG) and training, operating and more importantly de-briefing together, creates the synergies that will develop and benefit all.
  • Missions will the same as now... perhaps more smaller missions relative to the airframes but that is how you put into operation what you learn and train for... RAFAIR missions do not always do that but that is another soapbox

No, it's not a new thing per se, nor will there be a a recruiting drive to fill in blanks or anything like that. It is not separatist at all, nor any political bent to create say a NAS UK competing with RAF AIR or an elite helo unit god forbid :) . The suggestion is intrinsically a development, a realignment for reasons stated above - rather than stagnating, in a rut and nodding off occasionally like a politician ... I am always looking to improve and broaden my hobbies and constantly help and hopefully bring along like minded folk - something I always did no matter what I was into...

Tentative explorations of joint airframe tactics and supporting strategies have shown promise, hence this next step.

Sure I will be always looking for new pilots to enhance what I am involved in and that seems to be working... and this will be the same for CSG if it happens.

Hope this helps...

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/284620-89 ... nt-4801287

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/284977-19 ... nt-4804861
Kind Regards

Return to “General Pilot Chat”