Standalone Or Steam

Post Your Hints & Tips Here
Grant Lawrence

Standalone Or Steam

Post by Grant Lawrence »

Right,

As the new boy and not having yet installed DCS (Computer comes start of June) im looking at options.

Now the biggest draw as it stands is that Steam has all modules pretty much 1/2 price, whereby the DCS website they are full price now, with the sale for modules ending literally days ago!

Questions for the technical folk :-

Standalone & Steam versions (benefits & cons)?
Can I play DCS servers on Steam (want to play multiplayer)?
If I were to get steam and buy A10C module, then later install Standalone will the A10 module transfer across to standalone?

Or is it generally "Grant your a plum get standalone and pay £50 for A10C"

Mad dog

Re: Standalone Or Steam

Post by Mad dog »

I can't answer most of your question I'm afraid mate, not used steam before for DCS you see. What I can say if there are 2 versions of the A10, one is cheap as hell and the other is more expensive. Don't buy the cheapest one as it's not a full fidelity module so you won't be able to click switches etc.

For the rest of your question, I'll leave that to someone else.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yep, Pongo, I've already instructed him to get the A-10C and not the A-10A, also DCS OpenBeta, and not Release.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Grant Lawrence

Post by Grant Lawrence »

Yeah, I read on another thread that you can run "open beta" on steam too. So its down to if Steam is compatible with RAFAIR servers I guess

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Steam is fully compatible with everything on the standalone, including multiplayer and RAFAirUK.

I started out on Steam and migrated to standalone (although I still always buy my modules on Steam so that if I ever go back I still have everything). Personally I would have stuck to Steam as it auto updates very quickly and any issues with your install is fixed in minutes with their platform. I only went to standalone because there was a Steam delay of a week or so switching over to version 2.5.6 due to stability issues and bugs which meant I couldn't play with RAFAirUk for the period (I didn't know how long STeam would hold back and RAFAir had switched) hence my change.

Regards
FC
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Grant Lawrence

Post by Grant Lawrence »

Father Cool,

Do the modules (aircraft etc) transfer across to Standalone if purchased on Steam, what I don't want to do is purchase the A10C on steam and then for whatever reason I goto Standalone in the future and have to purchase it again?

Cheers

Danny
Site Admin

Post by Danny »

Wing Commander Andrew 'Danny' Daniel - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Grant Lawrence

Post by Grant Lawrence »

Danny, Cheers! Appreciated

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

Hi Grant, im on steam and always have been on Steam and see no point of being on Standalone unless i felt that strongly that my spent money all goes to ED. I dont!

There was a time when updates and module releases were delayed between standalone and Steam by a few days. Now all updates, and modules are released at the same time.

As Father Cool has mentioned, Steams version is simple to use, auto updates and even veryfying files is much easier. Lots of the pre builds are available still in steam and open beta. If you want to modify your game or add Skins ,mission files etc all of that is simple also.

i think that Steam and Standalone has pretty much the same amount of sales throughout the year, and they dont compete against each other for the cheapest module.

Standalone membership does have one added bonus which is your flight miles which builds up over time with your purchases and you may get a free campaign or module over time.

Hope that helps.
Captain Simon "SHAGGY" Jones
RAF AIR UK - 664 Sqn 2ND IC and Instructor
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Grant Lawrence

Post by Grant Lawrence »

Very informative Shaggy cheers. I went for steam and purchased the A10C and F/A18C to get me started.

Return to “Hints and Tips”