HELIOS 1.6

Post Your Hints & Tips Here
Chris

HELIOS 1.6

Post by Chris »

Helios 1.6 released for those running it.

Been using it for a week no issues whatsover.... Editor functions and interfaces greatly improved. No need for MODs or different monitor luas... it is all done internally and written to 1 monitor lua file no matter the number of monitors or aircraft you are using.

Automatic aircraft profile switching on the apron etc....
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: HELIOS 1.6

Post by Flyco »

Chris, I was interested to read your favourable assessment of Helios 1.6.

I have been using the original stable Helios 1.4 for 3 or 4 years, and would now find it difficult (that should be 'more' difficult) to operate reasonably without it. I have set-ups for A-10C, F-18, F-16, F-15, Huey, P-51, Gazelle, and L-39, some of which I have modified to include additional control inputs.

Having invested so much in what is still a stable set-up. I am a bit reluctant to upgrade. Additionally, I am not sure I would be capable of amending my amendments.

However, I am entirely happy for you to test it thoroughly for me over the next few months! I would welcome your findings.

In the meantime, if any of the above aircraft interest you would be happy to e-mail you any profiles that you want to try (1920 x 1080). I also export my kneepad to a third 12cm x 15cm screen so I have continuous reference to checklist, briefs and maps.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Chris

Re: HELIOS 1.6

Post by Chris »

Externally 1.6 is not much different than 1.4 other than for the most part no mods are required for any display ports but all the work is under the hood even sizing your displays. 1.4 is not being supported by BlueFinBima any more and 1.6 forked by a German guy DeAmmo who is very active on CaptZeens Discord and you can chat most days with him if so inclined, , nice chap...

CaptZeen recut ALL of his profiles to work with 1.6 so all your models are covered although they are very easy to convert yourself as lots of error checking and written feedback is built into the prog.

Currently I only use AV8NA by BFB, the Huey, Mi8 & Tomcat - which is excellent. The Harrier I enlarged the controls to make my touchscreen 100% reliable. What way did you work the kneeboard - by viewport?
Captz Zeens KB with all the airfields for all the maps is handy.

Like all DCS addicts we go round in circles... I remember using Helios when it first came out but with a mouse.... lost interest with that when I started using a 50" TV then went RIFT - HP Reverb - and now SSW monitor and 24" touchscreen with bespoke profiles. Actually using your fingers for 99% switches is I find more intuitive than the HP Reverb which I now just use for Hueys.

If you ever take a notion to go 1.6 fire me your adapted profiles and I will convert and test them on my 1.6 to see if there is any issues. But then often it is best to let sleeping dogs lie, especially if they are comfortable...
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Return to “Hints and Tips”