Operation Tordenskjold

Post All Your Missions Here
fly_george

Re: Operation Tordenskjold

Post by fly_george »

oh and if theo is going to be atc, make sure there is a su25t sat on the ramp so he can interact over radio to everyone
'paddles contact'

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

We'll see if we can do better than that with the ATC radio version of SRS (5 radios I think). If anyone knows how to set this up or has used it before please drop me a line here. Thanks.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I'm sure you have thought of it, but it is very useful for the ATC to use the map display, and to be able to see all of the blue, and at least some of the red, participants.

The ATC SRS display, normally shows 10 radios I believe. Obviously it is best if the operator doesn't have to change frequencies and has separate well-marked transmit buttons for all of them, as well as volume controls to allow less critical channels to be reduced in volume. Even so, strict R/T discipline by all aircraft will be essential, with the usual background banter minimized.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

good to hear, i will also not be able to join if it is the 25th, it may be easier to run on Tuesday, matters on what everyone else can do tho
'paddles contact'

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

Thanks for that Alan, yes we are hoping that ATC Theo will have just a map display showing friendlies and enemy air contacts so that he can keep track. Nobody will have enemy units or positions available other than Gamesmaster (Paul) so that flow and choreography can be maintained throughout the mission.
In reply to your other post, we will definitely be in need of your experience and control on Hog Flt. Workload will be high and we will be relying on Flt Leaders to keep their puppies on a tight leash in formation, proceedure and radio use or we are doomed!!
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Paul Gillon
Site Admin

Post by Paul Gillon »

I'm just jumping in to say that the 25th is not set in stone - it's more important to have pilots filling the required roles. The reasoning behind the choice of dates was that we thought a Sunday would give us more time for the mission (we're expecting 3hrs plus at minimum). In addition we also thought it would make it a bit different as I'm planning this to be the start of an on going campaign so a Sunday afternoon would have made it a bit special The third reason is that I'm a bit biased (but not inflexible) in that I'm pretty busy during the week.

So, in short, the date is not set and we will move to suit but we do need flight leads and we do need to set aside time.

The first question to is are all Sundays out of the question or just the 25th?
The second question is when can we confirm flight leads and pilots so that we can start briefing and planning?

I'm going to be online tonight - any chance of a chat after the mission?
Flight Lieutenant Tav -RAFAir UK

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

i got my dates mixed up i can do the sunday
'paddles contact'

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Do we have a firm date and time for this test run yet?
Image Image Image Image

Paul Gillon
Site Admin

Post by Paul Gillon »

Briefing to be finalised and aircraft put in and we're good to go.

Still looking for confirmed numbers for the Op - looking at a minimum of 10 x A10C for it to run as planned. My hope was to run this as part of an on going campaign where the results of this mission would impact the next mission.

No pre testing - Date set was for tomorrow, is this feasilble with the flights?
Flight Lieutenant Tav -RAFAir UK

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I doubt you're going to get 10+ people to fly it tomorrow. But if you are still hoping to, you will need to come up with some times fairly quickly. I should be available between about 1330 and 1700.

As for getting a guaranteed 10+ on any training night, I am very sceptical. We might just come close to 12 at times, but the problem is getting them to confirm beforehand, and turn up on time. Even then 2 or 3 are likely to drop out with technical or similar problems.

Certainly, for initial testing, if you can get it down to no more than 6 or 8, and perhaps run it in sections, you have a better chance.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Missions”