Op Deep Valley

Post All Your Missions Here
Flyco
Site Admin

Op Deep Valley

Post by Flyco »

New mission for between 4 and 8 A-10Cs and, optionally, up to 4 Harriers.

Targets are 3 x Tunguska, 3 x Shilka, 2 x Tank groups, 1 x IFV group, one soft-skin convoy, and around 8-10 manpads. All are stationary in a congested valley just 5 nm S of Russian border with a SA-6 around 10 nm North of the border. They are between 4000 and 8000 ft agl, making stand-off mavericks the only sensible way to take out the Tunguskas.

There are 3 JTACs overlooking the valley to guide onto all the 6 primary AD targets and to the general positions of the rest. This is quite a complicated JTAC involvement calling for good control of the 2 flights by Flt Ldrs.

The two A-10 flights take-off from Kutaisi with a 5 min separation, and route at 2000 ft to a LL entry point, fly a 15-20 min LL and then pull up to 20,000 ft+ and route to separate holding points at either end of the valley, where they contact the JTACs, for targeting information..

The Harriers are on the Tarawa with engines running, and route in at 30000 ft, with 4 x Sidearm and 2 Mavs. Their task is to knock out the Tunguskas and, if possible the Shilkas. They then recover to the Tarawa or Kutaisi.

There are on-station tankers fro both A-10cs and Harriers. However, the sortie can be completed without AAR.

At present the Harriers are a bit tricky, but that may be down to my unfamiliarity with their weapons systems. I also cannot make solid contact with the JTACs - possibly due to their limited coms simulation. However they are not essential to the mission and are put in to stop the vertical-orientated amongst us from sulking!

I am working on a detailed brief at the moment, and will publish it on this thread asap.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Op Deep Valley

Post by Neil Willis »

Excellent. thanks Alan, I look forward to flying this one soon.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Op Deep Valley has now been uploaded to the Server dropbox, and is available for use. It includes a Harrier flight, but their capability is currently quite limited and problematic. The mission is for between 4 and 8 A-10Cs (and up to 4 Harriers, to a limited extent).

The following documents are attached to this post:

1. A scene-setting brief

2. An outline pre-flight brief for use by the briefing member

3. A basic map of the target area.

I hope to upload a kneepad briefing card tomorrow.
Attachments
OP DEEP VALLEY - Preliminary Brf.pdf
(744.22 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Op Deep Valley Pre-Flt Brf.pdf
(477.81 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Deep Valley Tgt Map.png
Deep Valley Tgt Map.png (3.32 MiB) Viewed 4740 times
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

An updated Kneepad Briefing Card for this mission is attached. Other briefs and map remain largely unchanged.
Attachments
Op Deep Valley Briefing Cards.pdf
(358.29 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Mission repaired and thoroughly tested - A-10Cs are OK - Harriers contact with JTACs v intermittent. Briefs will be updated and the new mission will replace the current version.
Image Image Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

cant open the new breifing card alan and yet can open all others think its in some strange format :D

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Sorry, I had not put it in pdf format. Correct version now attached above.
Image Image Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Tango for that Alan

Return to “Missions”