SAS Pick-Up - For 1 - 4 choppers.

Post All Your Missions Here
Flyco
Site Admin

SAS Pick-Up - For 1 - 4 choppers.

Post by Flyco »

I have attached an interim sortie for up to 2 Hueys and 2 Gazelles. It is an early stage in a larger sortie which will eventually include A-10C and Hornet top cover - and a lot more 'baddies' on the ground.

You are welcome to try it out either as SP or MP.

If it goes down well, I will try and get this included in the Caucasus Generic mission.
Attachments
SAS Pick-Up Interim.miz
(21.39 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

rifraf105

Re: SAS Pick-Up - For 1 - 4 choppers.

Post by rifraf105 »

Thanks for the mission, ill give it a go and hope to fly it with matt as gunner at some point :D

rifraf105

Post by rifraf105 »

Just a quick one for you, the gazelle can only have 9 WP's programmed into the NADIR system so can 9 of the most prominent WP's be pre programmed OR the location Grid ref's be on the brief? It is possible for the troops that are being picked up to have an ADF freq for the final approach, i'm only saying as this is a handy tool if flying only gazelle for pick up.
Can the gazelle and huey be set up for coop play pls? also the possibility of other variants for ground support eg. the gazelle L variant.
sorry for the intense input.
:oops:

rifraf105

Post by rifraf105 »

OK, Mission flown!
AAA killed my pilot and had to fly as gunner, also shot off one of my HOT missiles... AWESOME! :lol:
still landed at LZ, would have been nice to see some troops there!
Hill flying is challenging but doable in gazelle half loaded with half a fuel tank used for the whole mission.
Not sure if the older air frame of the huey will manage the hills though.
As mentioned, only navigated to waypoint 9 and they were pre loaded so that was cool but continued to nav by F10 map which the waypoints did pop up after a while??
Should be fun with a bit of command and controll to take out the troops and air defences with the gazelles. FUN FUN FUN

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

OK Trevor, I will try and take your points in order.

Firstly, the mission was originally intended for the Hueys alone. I added the Gazelles to expand the interest. That said I have flown it several times in both Gazelle and Huey. They can both get over the hills with the default load, and can avoid the ground forces by sticking to the route, flying as fast as reasonable and not getting diverted to try and 'slog it out' with the ground forces.

Th numerous waypoints are primarily for the Huey - without a competent nav system, they do need all of the ones plotted to allow a 'map-reading' flight, without taking the wrong turn. I had not appreciated the Gazelle's WP limit and I will try and look at that. In the meantime, you can use the map facility on the Kneepad to navigate- I am not sure I would ever rely on a doppler nav to get me through a route like that. Eyeball, stop-watch and map - that's all I had when I was lad - Ah, happy days.

It is possible to fly the route without getting hit, provided you observe the points above. The sole aim of the mission is to extract the troops, not shoot up a few 'ground-pounders'.

The Huey is only single manned crew at present. I was not aware that there is anything required to make a Gazelle in a mission accept gunner and pilot in a co-operative role, but I will look into it.

The positioning and timing of the opposing ground forces is critical, with triggers to activate them just a few seconds too late to be certain of taking out the incoming choppers. Providing, as I said, that the choppers stay fast, low (< 100 ft) when exposed, in reasonably close formation, and on track.

As I say, there are troops to pick up, but the embarkation of troops is a 'shaky' capability on DCS at present, which seems to change with almost every iteration. Nevertheless the last time I checked, they did embark to the Hueys - albeit as though it was on a drill-square rather than under fire! They do, however, need to be allocated to specific aircraft types, and I am not sure they can be loaded onto Gazelles as well as Hueys.

Eventually, there will be A-10C top-cover, at which point the opposing ground troops will be made more effective to the extent that they will be unable to get through without A-10 intervention. The whole process will be controlled by a AWACs input. However, I am a little concerned that the stutters produced by multiple aircraft will make nap of the earth flying at 100 kias a bit fraught.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Image Image Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Trev, if we fly this mission as a two man crew I can focus on your navigating and you can fly the bird if you fancy it?
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Get it NOW! I am putting some additional bad (and angry) guys on the ground north of the border.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have now updated this mission. It has four incidents around the route, each involving Red ground forces. There are also AWACS inputs to advise of up-coming enemy formations.

I still have to stress-test it which I will do during next week. If Matt and Trevor want to man a Gazelle between them, I will happily lead in one of the Hueys. We just need to identify a 2hr slot when we can occupy the Server. If there are 3 more rotor-heads who would like to take part - speak up.

In the longer term it should run within a fairly restricted area, so could fit into the Generic mission. However, I do still plan to fly some A-10s and F/A-18s overhead to knock out the (enhanced) ground searchers and the Red fighter interference - but that is for the future.

P.S. I don’t think that there is any way of defining the Gazelle route using the existing waypoints, while putting different waypoints in the nav system. Can anyone help?
Image Image Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sounds good Alan, I'll happily fly as Trevs second man, I can be available most evenings.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

rifraf105

Post by rifraf105 »

YES YES YES pls, count me in! it wasn't an issue flying by knee board as the route is very good and common sense. I'm on and off a lot so let me know when you want to do it..

Return to “Missions”