Khashuri Gap Updated for Tomcats

Post All Your Missions Here
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Khashuri Gap Updated for Tomcats

Post by Flyco »

AAR is not essential, especially if you cruise gently in the CAP hold and don’t use afterburner unless it is essential. However is a very useful skill, which should be practised.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

I do intend to get it down its just not something that I have spent a lot of time at currently.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Father Cool wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 12:45 I do intend to get it down its just not something that I have spent a lot of time at currently.
the cat can loiter for hours if you stay out of reheat
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Scooby, I don’t have the F-14, so I can’t really comment. But given it’s role, I would expect it to comfortably exceed a loiter time of 2 hrs.
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Flyco wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 17:56 Scooby, I don’t have the F-14, so I can’t really comment. But given it’s role, I would expect it to comfortably exceed a loiter time of 2 hrs.
easily, if im reading the fuel flow correct, you can cruise at 4k pph (300 kts 35k feet) and you can get to the cap zone with 16k lb fuel left
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I am about to tweak Kashuri Gap again. Change to be incorporated include:

1. SAM protection for Nalchik.

2. Revised land-based LL for Enfield, to include a SEAD element.

If anyone has any other suggestions or observations about weaknesses in the last version, please let me know asap, and I will try to incorporate them.
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Father Cool wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 00:11
Flyco wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 14:02 Following the failure of some elements of this mission to react correctly in the running of Kashuri Gap on Tues 19, I am currently going through it again, and hope to have a better (I don't guarantee perfect!) version for next week.

As before it will cater for the F-18 OCU flight of 4, 2 Harriers, between 2 and 4 F-14s and F-18s, and between 4 and 8 A-10Cs. The plan is for the Harriers to deliver retarded bombs; the F-18s to deliver HARM, chase down AHs and Su-25s, and mount CAP; the F-14s to mount CAP; and the A-10Cs to deliver CBUs, Maverick, and GBUs. All F-14 and F-18 pilots should, ideally, be able to carry out AAR, and/or be prepared to re-arm and re-fuel back at base for a second sortie. No early teas!
Is AAR a must for the F14? I ask as I don't really have it fully down with confidence yet and with my current flightstick (old T flight paired with an x55 throttle and not had chance set up my new Virpil this weekend to try that) its like threading spaghetti through a needle with boxing gloves on? No issue doing RTB and re-arming etc.
If you leave reheat alone you can do 2 hours plus easily in the tomcat. Especially at 35k feet with fuel flow set to 4 (k lbs per hour). This will be 300 kias.
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Looking at the Kash gap mission brief it doesn't look too far to do an RTB for refuel in any case.

At this point it would be far faster for me to do that than attempt to refuel off the tanker. I sat practicing AAR in a single flight for over an hour last Sunday night and never got into the basket once! Very very very close but not in.

It is certainly something I need to get down.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Return to “Missions”