Red Air mission / campaign

Post All Your Missions Here
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Re: Red Air mission / campaign

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yea brilliant, thanks Neal.

I don't like the dark, that's why I try not to fly in it. ;)
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Duke

Post by Duke »

I've just tested this mission in the Hip, points to note (which I'll remind everyone during the brief).

There will be prolonged periods at altitude above 8000ft, so engine and rotor di-cers will be a must.

While not entirely realistic the Georgian forces will be Georgian infantry, but French or German Armor/Artillery and as much as possible French or German SAM systems, this is for two reasons. ID-ing in Helos the difference between a Russian BTR and Georgian BTR will create chaos and stress during later missions, and the American SAM'S are ridiculous to fight and will literally shoot down everything you throw at them.

Lastly I can't get the CTLD to work for Hinds, so there will be separate Radio F10 options for each Hind Aircraft, 1 to pick them up at start, and another to drop them at drop zone. They may not spawn quite as perfectly around the aircraft but will look ok provided you land closest to the drop area

Duke

Post by Duke »

Duke

Post by Duke »

Slight update to briefing to include as much as possible the threat expectation and objectives etc

Duke

Post by Duke »

Flight Members for tomorrows Op
Sniper 1 - KA50 - Duke (Rafair / JSW)
Bison 1 - Hind - Neil (Rafair)
Bison 2 - Hind - Andrew (Rafiar)
Yukon 1 - Mi8 - Paul (Rafair)
Yukon 2 - Mi8 - Engines (JSW)
Yukon 3 - Mi8 - Buck (JSW)
Dagger 1 - Mig 21 - Slippy (JSW)
Dagger 2 - Mig 21 - Shakespeade ??? (JSW)

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Nice one Duke, looking forward to it.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Chris
Have you set the radio frequencies in the ME? I normally forget!!

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Duke

Post by Duke »

I certainly have hehe, the rotary dial in the pilot seat for Mi8 and KA50 will start on 141.000, just needs twisting round to 251.000 after takeoff. Not sure but I've assumed the Hind is same layout or similar as seems like a standard Russian radio

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

We had a great start to the mission. I couldn’t remember where the panel lights were, having never done a cold start at night. Andrew was similarly afflicted. Chris was good enough not to laugh out loud.

We got the hang of flying using the flashlight on the dials, despite the often flare out with the NVG.

All was going well flying up the valleys, following the twists and turns as directed by Chris. At a particularly tricky fork in the valley where i needed to remember my left from right; we went left instead of right!. We then proceeded to try and fly up the highest peak on the mountain range. I managed to over torque my engine and lose tail rotor control. I then turned into a very expensive lawnmower. Andrew had a very similar experience and we spent the next 10 minutes understanding why you cant fly at high altitude, heavily loaded in freezing conditions.

Sorry Chris!!!
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Return to “Missions”