Mission Standardization

The 'Why, Where and How To' about mission planning in DCS
Flyco
Site Admin

Mission Standardization

Post by Flyco »

It has been suggested that we should try to use standard Callsigns, Frequencies, and TACAN channels, for aircraft in Missions when possible. I agreed to draw up a list. I have attached my draft suggestions for comments.

It will not be mandatory, but it is a lot easier if we stick to known frequencies etc. It should avoid all the extra chat over SRS and TeamSpeak about what AWACs and AAR frequencies etc we are using.
Attachments
MISSION STANDARISATION.pdf
(406.1 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Mission Standardization

Post by Neil Willis »

Excellent idea. Thanks Flyco.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

My 2 Cents..... I have used these procedures before and they provided at little cost great commonality between squadrons and facilitates all mission makers, minor and major if there is interest....

If this suggestion is above my pay grade, just bin it - no issues If you want help doing it, setting it up, or it done, just someone in authority shout!

• Create (and make available to all) 1 mission template for each DCS terrain map - to include:
  • Default scripted for MIST and CTLD (allows full program toolset plus easy ai JTAC, CSAR, Beacons and helo / vehicle / ai interaction
  • Tankers
    On each template correctly set up freq, tacans, callsign, airspeed, height and orbit commands via 2 Wps and respawn scripting for when empty
    2x boom KC135
    2x Drogue – KC 135 MPRS; KC 130
    2 x SB3 near carriers
  • Aircraft
    1 of each RAF AIR aircraft configured:
    no munitions or bags
    default summer skin
    All configurable freq slots filled, all radios. In other words for that map have assigned for most used airfields, carriers, tankers, flight, sub-flight, command, awac etc. Use a common order for all AC where possible. AC specific KB for freqs and assets for each AC – only visible to each AC – NO SPAM
  • Carriers
    Stennis, Tarawa, Hermes etc etc.
    1 of each, correctly set up for freqs, tacans, ICLS. and
    Assign freqs for LSO, Marshal, etc
    Ensure all carrier BRC is in briefing
  • AWAC
    2 correctly configured assets.
So you have 1 template for each map and on each template you have the bare bones for all and any missions.

To Write a mission,
  • Pick your terrain template
  • Delete Assets you do not need or are duplicated - say tankers or AC types
  • Copy and past what you do. i.e. a Flight of F18C’s, select the example, change the skin if desired, add munitions, coy an paste what is required. Same for the Vipers, Harriers etc… only ones slightly loosing out are A10c with no available radio freqs configurable…. The others all have 40 -60
Maybe worth considering having a depository of all missions successfully run online to share, alter and learn by all - this would only work if members believe in community spirit rather than a collection of separate competings...

Consult all squadrons and write and propagate an inclusive RAR AIR MOD pack which included Generic SQN Skins.

There seems to be lots of squadron initiatives taking place, maybe an idea to ensure RAFAir SOPs are current and overarching in purpose.
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

An excellent suggestion. Unfortunately DCS makes some of these a little difficult at first. For example there are only 3 'allowed' tanker callsigns. It's difficult to set up 2 carriers (pending the Supercarrier), or carrier groups with multiple carriers, or the same reason - DCS callsigns.

I have a chart of hts v IAS to allow me to quickly set up AAR at appropriate heights speeds (~ 210 kias for A-10s and ~265 for fast jets).

Good luck with persuading members to accept that skins should be standardised and not changed every 3-days.

I also don't use MIST etc - have tried it and found it too complex.

Nevertheless - good luck. Why not produce such a template and put it on the forum for members to try?
Image Image Image Image

Chris

Post by Chris »

Just a suggestion that I introduced elsewhere and worked fine.

Re tankers... mind its a template... just delete what is not required... i.e. there may be 130, 135, 135KPMRS, SB3 maybe even 2 135Ks one high one lower... whatever as long as you realise you are limited to a certain number and the others have to be deleted... BUT all are correctly set up to work before you start.

If mist was set up in template stage, there are many more opportunities, a simple line will give you a JTAC with priority targeting for example, or lined smoke... you just choose to use it or not. If not no worries it will do not harm.

For multi unit skins to work in multi unit missions I'd thought a coordinated skin pack would be essential - but I'll not convince anyone... it come down I suppose to whether RAF Air is one communal group or a collection of autonomous groups..

A template is simple to do, it is whether it is wanted or not is the key before any work is done and I suppose that comes back to the last line of the preceding sentence.

It was just an idea rather than a proposal to argue for...
Kind Regards

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Sounds like you have a job todo then Chris! We have tried this before, so let’s make sure everybody has them available once they are up and proven to work well.

We need main bases for each Squadron to call home - shared if they are large enough.

All the tankers supportable, incl one near the carriers for low fuel arrivals.

Emergency divert bases briefed.

AAA and SAM belts defending friendly airspace.

A couple of AWACS.

All crews pre-set on studs using a standard sequence - R1S1 home plate, R2S1 command, R2S2 Tankers, R1S2 AWACS for example.

Standard TACAN for all carriers using their Side numbers as the channel ie 74 for the Stennis, with all TACAN set up with an appropriate morse code. Ie STN for Stennis, TXC forTexaco, SHL for Shell...

Waypoints pre-codes for all flights taking them to key points on the map - which of course can be edited later, but should include labelled names such as Divert, Home Plate, Fence In etc.

Sensible pre configured weather, with prevailing winds down the deck of the carriers. Some overcast.

Defensive SAM screen to penetrate into enemy territory, and AAA assets supporting them.

I’m sure I have forgotten some things, so any other suggestions would be welcome in this thread.

The key of course is to make certain only one, latest version is available for mission writers to use as the template, and plenty of communication regarding changes made once it has been released. Plus strict instructions to mission planners only to use the templates.

Finally, all the details baked into the templates must be briefed in the mission, so anyone using it has quick and easy access to stud numbers, weather, ATIS frequencies, TACAN channels etc. This is probably the most important thing we can add.

I suggest we take time and ensure it is complete and comprehensive before making it the standard. And just one person should co-ordinate it for everyone. Preferably having discussed frequencies with Squadron Commanders. Also, we need good separation of frequencies, and no overlap even on different maps because we have only one SRS server until we work out how 2 versions of SRS can run on a single computer.

So, a lot of work to get this right, but the rewards would certainly make it worthwhile.
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

May I also suggest that we use Supercarriers for the F14 and F18 squadrons to allow us to not have to have duplicate carriers or F14 routinely taking off from land bases.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I would have thought that supercarriers would become the norm. However, as I understand it, the supercarriers have to be purchased, and we have always been rightly worried about obliging members to purchase items to enable them to take part in our regular mission sessions.

As for the use of MIST, I have never progressed its use to the extent that you describe, but by all means bring it on. Again I just do not want everyone to be forced to adopt the rules of the majority, or even a vocal majority. Some people just join to have fun and long may that remain acceptable.

Chris, as Neil suggests, put together a basic template, and let people have a look at it - I would welcome the chance. However, I am not sure I would put on all the detail Neil suggests initially, otherwise users would spend more time cleaning and modifying the template, than they would have spent building what they need from scratch.

One final point, I have found that the DCS Mission Editor is sometimes 'reluctant' to delete or change earlier settings, which could be a problem. As an example I cannot get it to accept 'UK' F-14Bs. However, that may just be me forgetting to save changes or committing other programming faux pas etc.
Image Image Image Image

Chris

Post by Chris »

@Neil re 2nd SRS Server.

This may help some... ...

Get Keiran to open another UDP / TCP Port

Under C:\Program Files\DCS-SimpleRadio-Standalone create a 2nd folder, say named SERVER2.
Copy "C:\Program Files\DCS-SimpleRadio-Standalone\server.cfg" and place in folder SERVER2 - Edit this cfg file to the correct new PORT number....

Create a shortcut to C:\Program Files\DCS-SimpleRadio-Standalone\SR-Server.exe and by default keep the name, SR-Server.exe
Create another SPARE shortcut to C:\Program Files\DCS-SimpleRadio-Standalone\SR-Server.exe and name this, say, SRS-SERVER-2.
Open the properties of this shortcut, SRS-SERVER-2... and in the TARGET LINE type "C:\Program Files\DCS-SimpleRadio-Standalone\SR-Server.exe" "-cfg= C:\Program Files\DCS-SimpleRadio-Standalone\SERVER2\server.cfg"

You now have 2 shortcuts and 2 config files.... one for each server. Sorted :) Any grief shout!

Re Templates
These are just templates for mission designers to quickly make a mission. All aircraft, tankers, ships, etc are preconfigured..... delete what you do not want and copy and past more of that you want. ALL Carriers including the fancy new one can be configured correctly, obviously they will not all run together... just delete what is not required. This way all the technical stuff that gets forgotten is done and standardised. Those in charge of Squadrons dictate what freq can be stored in whatever AC but it make sense for some to be common, in both BOX and STUD positions for say A2A, Carriers, COMD, AWAC.

Example there will be say 6 tankers in the template, configured. Delete what not used. Drag existing WPs of spawn, orbit start and orbit end to where you want it, done! - Same for carriers, AWAC etc. There will just 1 or each AC type in the template. All freq will be set, default skin set. Copy it and past one copy....Set armaments - set WP routes..... copy and paste then until flight is complete. Job done.
This template good for complete map. You can have a correctly configured short mission done in minutes.... It has the tools for deeper stuff such as respawns when empty / dead via mist, prioritised threat JTAC / Predator lase, day or night etc or even live jtac in vehicle... and full helo ops too.

@Flyco

ME is a bit full of minor bugs especially with unit name and type changes on save... it is slowly getting better.

@All - a current MOD pack including skins would make sense....
as well as a Mission library... if there is a community to support it....
Kind Regards

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Excellent info Chris, thanks.

I’ll get Kieran to open the ports, and we’ll get it sorted.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Mission Planning”