Tuesday 30th June 2020

Details Of Online Flight Nights
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Tuesday 30th June 2020

Post by Neil Willis »

Tonight's mission will be the final part of Op Senaki Shenanigans.

Pre-flight briefing - 19:30 hrs Alpha.

Take off - 20:00 hrs Alpha.

Please note missions may be recorded and published, including voice track. If you wish to make a recording, please make the mission commander aware prior to joining the server. All pilots should assume their comments may reach a wider audience, and act accordingly.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 30th June 2020

Post by Flyco »

The OED defines Shenanigan as "high spirited behaviour - nonsense - trickery - dubious manoeuvres". That sounds about right - particularly the "dubious manoeuvres" - I saw a lot of those.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

1(F) Squadron Roster for tonight

1 - Chris
2 - Andrew Cade (Moretti)
3 - Mike (Oz)
4 - Hendo
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

97 Squadron

Richard
Andrew
Paul
Luis
Geoff
Neal
Alan
Plash
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Phil, I promised to send you a suggested brief and weapon load for the A-10s. Unfortunately, the system doesn't seem to have you down, so it will have to be via this means, rather than a PM.

I have attached a typical brief covering the main points. I find that I need an idea of what is going to happen and when, and I suspect that I am not alone. I felt unsure and uncomfortable during the early stages of this mission.

First, list the flight and frequencies - they are really not obvious - when we got in our aircraft we started with a discussion of what they were and someone had to look up the Batumi frequency off a TAP, and then they changed later.

I did not know on take-off whether I had an hour to fly to the target or 5 minutes. Hence there should be an indication of likely Fence-in and/or on-target times. As it was, I called 'Fencing in' independently - TGPs and Mavericks take time to warm up.

Our Flt Lead allocated targets - but what if he had crashed on take-off? Who else knew what we were doing in sufficient detail to ensure that all targets were covered? You will also see that I have replaced the Shilkas with Tunguskas - on a mission like this where everyone was above 15,000 ft the Shilkas were not worth bothering with. Worth doing that for the next time you run this, makes for more excitement!

We also only had one ac with LGB-10s, and he carried 2. Again had we lost him on take-off we could not have completed our primary task.

You will see that I changed the load-out - and I will run through my thinking on this. Largely based on my preferences, I dumped some of the Mavericks, although we would need at least 4-6 between us to ensure taking out the 'new' Tunguskas from a safe distance. I also gave each ac a GBU-10 to ensure we could hit both the main targets unless we lost all but one of our flight: - overkill, but they can be used on tanks etc. I loaded up on LGB-12s, because 6 LGBs weigh as much as 4 Mavs. I also prefer them for this type of mission, where you are circling looking for targets. With a Mav you have to circle at least 10nm away to allow a reasonable run-in, whereas for an LGB you can come closer, to about 5-6 nm. You also have to dive during the latter stages of a Mav run to keep the cross within the 'ticked area'; this could possibly bring you within AAA range. Finally, as I mentioned, it is better to put the TGP on the right wing, next to the AIM-9s rather than the ALQ-184 - the ECM blanks the TGP at lower AOBs than the AIM-9s, and I, like most pilots apparently, naturally prefer to orbit to the right. I think that is why the RAF routinely fly LH circuits - just to screw up the pilot! (I know, I know, that is unfair - it is actually to allow the captain to see the runway downwind in a side by side seat aircraft. With 80% fuel (good for 2 hrs in the target area), you can comfortably make 18,000 ft or better at near max AUW.

I am sorry to go on so, but I hope you find it useful, to go through the whys and wherefores. And as I mentioned, I will happily run through your planning for the F-18, if you can't find anyone else.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Phil, sorry, forgot to add the brief. Here it is.
Attachments
OP SHENANIGAN.pdf
(755.5 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Squadron Flights”